Phone wiring query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recentlky visited a house that had 4 extensions running from the master socket,only problem was all the extensions were master boxes too!! Is this likly to cause a problem?? As they were master boxes only pins 5&2 were required(pin 3 only needed on a slave box) just wondering if this will work fine or will so many master boxes cause a problem(as they all have capacitors in them!!!!) Thanks for any info.........

Sponsored Links
it was working fine,but just wondering if this could cause problems in the future???

I think not. but others will point out is is too much capacitance on the line, but as you said. it is working fine

Sponsored Links
I used to be a bt faults engineer and it shouldn't cause a problem as I never came across a fault caused by this.

Thanks for the replys guy's.My main question for asking this was for future reference.So should i go a to an install that requires an extension but i only have one pair of wires free i can fit a master box.Also usefull to know in case some pairs are down in a cable-could just fit a master box in this case as well.Thanks.......

yes,you could fit a master socket if the cable was going down and you only had two wires functioning.In fact,sometimes I used to do this if the fault was in the customers wiring and they didn't want to pay to have it re-wired,at a cost of £60 for the first quarter of an hour and then £1 a minute after that,and no I wasn't on commision!

Thanks for the info!! Good to know for future reference,may get me out of a sticky situation one day!! :)

this could only cause a problem if your customer has ADSL switched on over the line.. ADSL only likes to see 1 capacitor in the line any more and it starts playing up.. te main reason that master sockets are fitted as extensions is that they only require 1 pair, not 1 pair+1 as an extension... they are what we call (GET out of jail sockets!!) just imagine a long run of internal cable throught a house and an extension goes faulty.. out of the feed too this (4wire or 6 wire ) you can get 1 good pair... what would u do??? replace all the wiring or just use the good pair and put an extension with capacitor in????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back