[Photo] What type of paint do I need for the bottom part outside the house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Here is a photo of the external of my property:

8yUwd1b.jpg

I need to paint the exposed brick work at the bottom the same way it is at the top.

However I don't know what type of paint to use as the black coloured paint was done before I moved in and have no info.

What type of paint do I need for the bottom part outside the house? My understanding is it could be bitumen paint or masonry but I am not really sure. Any help would be great!

Sponsored Links
it is not a decorating problem.

what you have is probably an ill-advised bituminous coating intended to hide damp at the bottom of the wall.

it is wrong because it prevents water evaporating off the surface of the wall and therefore makes it wetter, and the damp patch larger.

Stand back and take a wider pic showing the ground and the wall. Can you see a DPC in the wall? how old do you think the wall is? Are there signs of damp inside or out? If you tip a bucket of water on the paving close to the wall, does it run towards the wall, or away?

Is the flooring inside that wall wooden, with a ventilated void below, or concrete?

Hi John,

I can't see DPC in the wall. Admittedly I had to see what DPC looks like so went by comparing to photos here and compared it: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=D...=img&ei=pD3vXs2ZI9KCaevxguAC&bih=941&biw=1920

The wall is concrete and so is the flooring inside the house. I don't see any signs of dampness inside the home. The exposed bricks in my original photo have been like this for a year so have seen plenty of rain.

When I tipped a bucket of water the water stays still or goes away from the wall (there is a slight decline naturally on the front area)

Any advice based on this info?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back