Photo's From Some Of Today's Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is job I went to about two years ago. I issued an "AT RISK" warning about these lights. THe trannies are buried in fibreglass & the fittings are surrounded by unfixed standard pvc soil pipe. Went back today & the client told me they had had an "electrician" round and he had said they were fine.

In any case, her house was newbuild & the NHBC would not issue a cert nor Zurich underwrite her guarantee if it were wrong, would they?

The other defects noted here were single PEB conductor to gas & water, broken at all three clamps.

And two CU's without single point of isolation or warning sticker. Doesn't bode well for new build really.

Downlighters.jpg

The second piccy was a call-out to a "non-tripping RCD". Anyone work out why? ;)

VolexRCD.jpg

Sponsored Links
hi are my eyes playing tricks on me being late and all but is that reverse polarity

Is the live feed going into the bottom left terminal, along with the busbar? RCD just being used as a connector, and nothing going through the RCD at all?

As for new build and NHBC , nothing suprises me.
The installer and the lecky who passed it should both be strung up.
We worry about oversized inverted terracotta plant pots fixed to the ceiling being fit for purpose.

As for the RCD, if my eyes do not deceive me then I take it that bottom LH of the RCD is fed from the busbar (Ph) and the top RH is taken for the ouput and no N in sight. I could be wrong

Sponsored Links
Is the live feed going into the bottom left terminal, along with the busbar? RCD just being used as a connector, and nothing going through the RCD at all?

Bingo!

I'd like to meet the "electrician" who says that soil pipe is OK to "protect" downlighters & that burying transformers in 300+mm of loft insulation is OK.

I`ve seen worse, I advised a builder to get some fire hoods and the bloke at the wholesalers advised him to use plant pots, I looked at the finished job, guess what?

He`d used very small plant pots and they were plastic ones LOL, despite all my explaing he wouldn`t take them out.
It was his own home extension :LOL:

No actualy they were round,
Margarine tubs woulda been just as good.
Adam & Eve it?
Yer gotta larf (or Cry).

I thought it was just me but its`s you as well.
LOL

[in the style of Churchill] Oh yes!

The odd thing is I've seen more dodgy stuff since I've been working for this firm (3 years in October) than I have in 10 years of self-employment.

Strange isn't it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back