Piano lessons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently been given a piano. It's an upright and in pretty good nick. Looking on e-bay it's probably not worth the hassel of trying to sell it so our thoughts turned to it actually being used as a piano.
We are both in our fourties and pretty much tone deaf but our daughter might be a candidate for it, as soon as she saw it in the van she was overjoyed.
Which leads me on to my question, what sort of cost are lessons, and for that matter how much does a tune up cost. Our daughter is coming up to six years old , what age would people recomend for serious lessons?
Any help gratefully recieved.

Sponsored Links
Would the use of the piano be a source of annoyance to the neighbour? Because the sound can travel through quite thick walls.

No , we're in a detacted house. When I first moved in an started working on the house I discussed noise with the neighbours and they told me they heard nothing .

Pianos are not so noisy that your neighbours will be that disturbed.
A simple comment one day that your daughter is learning will suffice to avoid problems.

I would suggest that you invest in a decent piano stool because height for your daughter will be an issue.

Secondly I would suggest that you buy a couple or a few Tutor books, (A decent music shop will advise or try the 'net). Try your daugter on these for a while (and yourself, maybe). See how she takes to the rigour of regular practice and the determination to continue trying to master difficult techniques (because everything is difficult and strange to start with). She'll also be learning to read music.

A metronome is an important tool. Look for one with a light also to indicate the beat. Sometimes you may not hear the beat but will see the light flashing. (Again a music shop will advise)It's acceptable practice to slow the metronome down to a pace that a phrase can be played then bring the speed gradually back up to correct speed. But this isn't going to be an issue for a few months yet.

Finally, if all the keys are playing properly on the piano, don't worry too much about a tune-up. Not at this stage in your/ her music career.
In my experience any work is priced according to the amount of work that is required. In a couple/few/six months, you'll have a feel for how much work will be involved. Perhaps I ought to add here that "hearing" the correct notes is important in a music students learning, but as long as the notes are reasonable at this early stage, don't worry too much.

Check out this site:
http://www.parentsmusicguide.com/2008/04/what-is-the-average-cost-of-piano-lessons/

Incidentally, in a few years, perhaps at the advice of the school or teacher, think about seeing if your daughter will add another/secondary instrument to her 'portfolio'
A piano is often a solo instrument, especially when learning, whereas learning another instrument gives increased opportunity to learn/play in a group/band. This helps the musical development and provides more entertainment/amusement in the learning process.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that you invest in a decent piano stool because height for your daughter will be an issue.
I never found it a problem when I was learning

Secondly I would suggest that you buy a couple or a few Tutor books ... She'll also be learning to read music.
Debatable.

A metronome is an important tool. Look for one with a light also to indicate the beat. Sometimes you may not hear the beat but will see the light flashing.
Might be a useful tool to teach someone how to count at a regular speed, but you can easily become a slave to the metronome, so the music has no feeling.

It's acceptable practice to slow the metronome down to a pace that a phrase can be played then bring the speed gradually back up to correct speed.
Agreed.

if all the keys are playing properly on the piano, don't worry too much about a tune-up. ... Perhaps I ought to add here that "hearing" the correct notes is important in a music students learning, but as long as the notes are reasonable at this early stage, don't worry too much.
But the OP will not know what is reasonable and if the piano is out of tune, they will not be hearing the correct note. Furthermore they will think that what they are hearing is the correct note.

In my experience any work is priced according to the amount of work that is required. In a couple/few/six months, you'll have a feel for how much work will be involved.
How will the OP know how much work is involved - they have never owned a piano before?

If the piano has been well looked after and regularly tuned (say every six months), a tune will cost £35-75. If the piano has just been standing against the wall for years and never tuned it could easily cost £100 or more to tune and adjust it. This is because the work has to be done in stages.

PS I started piano lessons at six and have been playing all my life. I am retired now.

I never found it a problem when I was learning

From my experience and observation it's not very safe or comfortable for young students to be balanced on books/cushions etc.
But I'm sure the op is able to make a sensible judgement.

Secondly I would suggest that you buy a couple or a few Tutor books ... She'll also be learning to read music.
Debatable.
So your suggestion is...?
I did suggest it was 'for a while' to monitor the result. I see so many well intentioned parents spend a few quid on a few lessons, never to be seen again. A tutor book, not only 'tests the water' but also it's there to return to again and again if required. Even if the student goes on to regular lessons the book will always be available as a variation/practice etc.

A metronome is an important tool. Look for one with a light also to indicate the beat. Sometimes you may not hear the beat but will see the light flashing.
Might be a useful tool to teach someone how to count at a regular speed, but you can easily become a slave to the metronome, so the music has no feeling.
IMO it's important for a student to develop a regular beat before going on to introduce rubato techniques. Furthermore, I think it's about grade 2 or 3 before ritenuto, retardando, rallentando, accelerando, etc is introduced. If a student has no respect for strict tempo how can they judge any changes in tempo.

if all the keys are playing properly on the piano, don't worry too much about a tune-up. ... Perhaps I ought to add here that "hearing" the correct notes is important in a music students learning, but as long as the notes are reasonable at this early stage, don't worry too much.
But the OP will not know what is reasonable and if the piano is out of tune, they will not be hearing the correct note. Furthermore they will think that what they are hearing is the correct note.
For the first couple of months it's not really going to matter. It's a bit silly to spend a lot of money for a fad that lasts a couple of weeks. After a couple of months they will have formed their own opinion of what investment is advisable.

In my experience any work is priced according to the amount of work that is required. In a couple/few/six months, you'll have a feel for how much work will be involved.
How will the OP know how much work is involved - they have never owned a piano before?

It'll be pretty obvious if any keys are not working correctly or are hard to get working or are way out of tune. The pedals may take a little more experience but they're not important at this stage.
Apart from that they may know a friend, relative, neighbour who can run their fingers over the keys and offer free advice.

Thanks both , some good points and food for thought.
As we don't have any kind of piano stool then I suppose a purchase is nesessary although as we have as much idea about stools as we do pianos what exactly would a "decent " stool be?
The piano is in decent tune we are told , has been regulary tuned and played until late last year when the main user moved away , her mother has played it occasionally since.
I'll give that website a better look and also start checking around locally.

I guess you can predict what I'm going to say:
An adjustable stool. The forearms should be parrallel with the floor.
Avoid sweaty type coverings, e.g. vinyl.
Ensure the padding is not worn or missing.
Storage is not important and often music is spoilt (torn, creased etc) by being kept in there.
There are round type stools, rather like a drum stool. I have no experience of them so can't offer an opinion.

Obviously with any wooden furniture check for woodworm, level legs etc.

Sponsored Links
Back