Picasso C5 - parking brake/flat battery?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Citroen C5 Picasso
1588 Dtv
Hi went to drive her yesterday and she was complaint about parking brake but then Intealised the battery was flat. Only had her a month and took back to dealers because cruise control wouldn't work and lecky Windows were acting odd! They sorted cruise but Windows can still be iffy. Any possibility that this is all linked or just a coincidence?

Cheers...Chris

Sponsored Links
Modern cars are quite critical when it comes to battery voltage, I wonder if you have a problem with the alternator. Its quite easy to check, connect a voltmeter across the battery with the engine running and it should read about 14.4 volts, much less and you could have a problem.

Peter

Got to agree with you there, Peter!
Surely that doesn't control the parking brake though, does it?
John :)

Eh, I wouldn't have thought so but I haven't met an electric parking brake yet - and have no desire to.

Peter

Sponsored Links
On my car, if you disconnect the battery or it goes flat, the onboard computer and various settings go haywire or are lost. Some of them reset to factory in time, but not to your personal settings, if you charge the battery, start up, turn off, and drive a bit, but the windows have to be manually driven all the way up, and button held, and all the way down, and button held, before they work normally. I think it might be to do with the anti-trapping system.

The electric parking brake in mine is electronically linked to the position of the gearlever and footbrake, and road speed, so I can believe it might not work properly until everything resets and the sensors are at correct voltage.

If the battery is weak, the voltage fluctuations when you use the starter can make the electronics behave oddly.

Last edited:
So last night; I tried the battery booster and jumping from my wife's car all to no avail. It probably put a bit of juice in it so I then tried putting it on charge overnight. I wasn't expecting much as the charger is archaic and the manual seemed to indicate that the battery needed to be removed for charging. Any this am charger did appear to have done owt but was still buzzing. Being persistent I tried jumping from my Wife's car and hey Presto she turned over (after a little effort!). She even stalled once on the drive but still started! In work but hoping she's charged enough coming in and then time for the garage to do diagnostics. Strange thing all electrics seems ok now ...except for date/time natch. Thanks to all who commented.

Cheers Chris

You may have a knackered battery, is it a start stop car? is the battery start stop capable?
Best to get it checked, low voltage can affect all sorts on modern cars

Sponsored Links
Back