Pick a floor board any board and cut!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moving a Rad, no big deal. I pick a floor board (1 out of 30) to cut and lift to run the pipes. As I am cutting the Mrs Says "the telly stoped working"

Why did some **** run the tv cable in the middle of the room and so close to the joist.

1hr return trip too B&Q, £5 of beer money and the rad not started the TV works again!

Aaaaarrrrrrr

Sponsored Links
LOL! Sod law eh? I did the same with my bathroom year before last. Ripped everything out and pick a floorboard over a joist to cut and lift to start investigating the leaks and worse, put saw in and cut....through the cold water supply!! PANIC! Idiots had cut the joist to fit the wast and run the piping alongside. :rolleyes:

Another reason why I hate DIY! :LOL:

Tip: When I have finished with anything under the flooring I use an indelible permanent marker and mark on the top what's underneath, wiring, pipework etc and arrow the direction of the runs. It may help in the future! ;)

In my other posts, about my DIY adventures, I recently had a need to lift floorboards to gain access to the spaces in between the joists to run various cables like TV, Satellite, CAT5e, and telephone around the house.

So using a B&Q bought pipe and wire detector (about 40 quid anyone?) and run it over the floor to check for pipes, as the floor was tightly packed T&G and I couldn't see any pipes underneath through the few gaps that there were. Nothing detected. So I am ready.

So there I am, confident that it is safe to use a 5" hole cutter to make an inspection hole in the middle of the gap between the joists. Drilling through the board like a Bau5, 320watt electric drill, with hole saw attached and cutting like I am a hero. A few seconds later, there is this uncanny odour of cabbages. pull drill out of the new hole, with nice round chunk of wood in the mouth of the hole cutter plus an unexpected piece of shiny copper pipe! and look into the new hole to see a nice shiny copper pipe with a rather ominous gap between the two ends. About the same size as the hole cutter!

OOOOpppsss!

A quick exit, to the gas cupboard, pull the gas shutoff lever and run around the house opening windows.

After a few minutes of venting fresh air, I reenter the property to inspect the damage.

As luck would have it, I had cut into a pipe that fed a disconnected gas fire in the front room, and was destined for removal anyway. So a quick trip to the local hardware shop and purchase a 14mm closure cap and 10 minutes later, job safe. Call a mate of mine who is a gas fitter (corgi thingy registered but with a new name now) who checked it over and gave me a bill for a few pints down the pub and a warning that next time, I may not be so lucky!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back