Cutting Chipboard Floor to Access Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm re-installing our en-suite. The old fittings have been removed.

I am moving the radiator and need to re-route a pipe that is currently coming out of the floor where the shower base will be - that pipe provides water to the toilet.

The floor is made from large tongue and groove chipboard on top of the joists. So, unlike normal floorboards, I can't just lift them as and when I need to get access as the boards go under the plasterboard on the outer wall and run under the walls to the adjoining rooms.

What's the best way to get access to the space beneath the floor? I was thinking that I could saw through the boards along the centre of the joists so that I could could lift the board and have the joist to lay it back down on.

But some boards where I need to cut are right by the soil pipe, other pipes and walls and my circular saw is too big to get near to the walls.

So what can I use to get saw the boards? Any ideas? I imagine that this must me a common problem.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've recently used a dremel in similar circumstances. I needed to cut through plywood sheet between timber studs to accommodate a shower valve. The studs meant I couldn't get a circular saw onto the ply. I used the dremel with a tile cutting bit. The bit has a diamond edge and cut through quite easily - a bit like using a router. Not cheap though. I wouldn't worry too much about cutting on the joists. If the holes aren't too big you can easily fix timber batten across the hole from underneath and slot the cut-outs back in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back