Removing chipboard floor - best tool for job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a warped and swollen chipboard bathroom floor. The new floor will be ceramic tiles over plywood on joists.

The boards go under the walls on three sides of the room - what is the best way to cut right up to the edge of the wall? I thought of some sort of mini circular saw blade mounted in a drill but I can't find such a thing (not too safe perhaps). Would a reciprocating saw be best?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Sponsored Links
i don't believe there is anything on the market that will help.

the only power tool i've found any good for cuts close to walls is a jig saw. i have a circular saw but that can't get close enough.

i find a pad saw is sometimes useful compared to other manual saws. i also find stitch drilling say 6mm dia & 10mm pitch 1st helps to speed up the manual cutting. just butt the new boards against the stitch profile i.e. don't fuss trying to get it straight - too much effort for little gain.

i guess the recip saw would work if u can get it in on an angle (tend to be quite big)

you can buy a blade specifically for the recip saw and floor boards
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=55248

this blade will fit a bayonet jigsaw where you don't need to rotate the blade through 90deg to insert [unless you remove the baseplate to give clearence]
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=46298

both these blades will get you tight at 90 degrees

a circular saw will get you closest to the edge but still an inch or so away apart from the new dewalt rail system saw thats a few mm

if the joists run parallel to the stud wall there a fair chance the floor is supporting the floor directly or indirectly

big all,

many thanks - had never spotted the special blade for the jigsaw before.

well impressed (even spotted it in my screwfix cat which i keep by my bed)

:D

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back