Removing bathroom chipboard floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to remove the chipboard floor in my bathroom.

Wanted to get some tips for how best to go about it without causing unwanted damage.

I know I need to cut round the perimeter of the room and then get some leverage under it to pop the nails out.

I know which direction the joists run.

Tools I have are a multi-tool for plunge cuts plus a 190mm circular saw and a drill.

I'm nervous to just go straight in with the circular saw.

The floor is about 18mm thick. Should I just set the saw depth appropriately and go for it?

What hazards am I likely to encounter and how can I allow for them?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Pipes under the floor, in notches.

One way to find them is to wet-mop the floor, then, while it is still damp, turn on the boiler, radiators and hot taps. Hot pipes under the floorboards will leave dry lines.

Do your first cuts well away from any suspicion of pipes and cables, then have a look with a mirror and torch. Use chalk or white paint to mark any obstructions.

The circular saw is certainly fastest. You can start in the middle of the room if you want, press the nose of the saw onto the floor, tilted so the blade is not touching, then slowly tilt it down, running, until it is fully flat. Don't start the motor from "off" when the blade is already touching. Set it to a depth fractionally less than the board thickness so it doesn't go through any pipes you've missed. You will still be able to snap it along the cut by levering up. If you cut through the joints you will sever the tongue that holds the boards together so do not need full depth. Use a coarse TCT blade and move slowly, it will cut through any nails you accidentally touch.

The multicutter is great round edges and alcoves where you can't get the big saw in. Buy a few spare blades, especially the half-round.

Cables are supposed to pass through holes drilled in the centre of the joists, but you can't trust people, so be very careful, especially above light fittings in the ceiling downstairs.

Use a workshop vac if you have one. If not, a dustpan and brush, don't suck up sawdust or builders dust with a domestic hoover.

Last edited:
If you are really worried then be prepared if the worst happens, get some JG poly pipe and a few straight connectors and maybe a couple of elbows ( 15mm should do ) not to forget the inserts. A pipe cutter is useful to cut out a damaged pipe .
Find the stop cocks and drain points in case he worst happens or even turn them off while you are sawing saving a massive flood.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back