cutting awkward alcove floor

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have been replacing the loathsome chipboard flooring in my bathroom. there is a section that it difficult to cut, I wonder if there are any clever ideas.

There is a sort of alcove which used to accommodate the end of the bath, where the stud wall pushes into the airing cupboard. This is about 600mm x 200mm. The joists run along the 600mm way and there is a plasterboard partition wall standing on the floor (the soleplate stands on the chipboard and there is not a joist directly under it, however the partition is about half-height due to the ceiling slope, and the studs should be OK to take any weight as the wall is only 600 wide. I will nog it after cutting away the floor.

I am finding it difficult to get a saw against the wall to cut out the old chipboard in this alcove. I can't get a circular saw tight against the walls, and I don't want to use a reciprocating saw as there are pipes and cables under.

I can only think of using a tenon saw with very short strokes, knocking into the wall at each end. This is very tiring and annoying.

Is there an easier way?

Sponsored Links
you have my sympathy nighmare job :cry: :cry:

sometimes the only way you can do it especialy in alcoves cut what you can with the circular saw /jigsaw/recipsaw

then a 5mm score where the floor meets the wall with a hardpoint saw held against the wall using about half the blade length to cut with the back of the blade virtualy touching the floor but not quite
you could screw a batton to aid this prosses you could either continue till you have cut through or
take an oldish chisel and with the chisel about 5mm from the bottom at a slight angle so it breaks out the bottom
and keep chipping away taking 5mm slices then eventualy you will have a clean edge

just be wary of of wires and pipes [i know you know this john d ;) ]
and fixings holding the floor to the wall [hence the old chisel ;) ]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back