Well folks, it's that time again!

I found this under a floor.

It is an FCU supplying a CH boiler.

Gotta love them plumbers eh :LOL:

IMGP2116.jpg

Sponsored Links
What more can you say!!

RF Lighting. Are you a robot? Do you ever sleep. You're always posting. :D

Just got over Hope leaving X Factor so taking a closer look now.

What's with the CPC connecting to Phase wire? for starters. Secondly this looks like a relatively new installation being post harmonised wire colours.

Presumably the Y/G on the top left (connecting to the brown) isn't being used as CPC but something else as there appears to be a "valid" CPC in the bottom left cable (into the sheath & then the lower earth terminal). So given the plumber had 3 (or 4) cores in the top left cable, why use the Y/G rather then Blue or Brown for whatever-it-is (presumably a switched live?). That has to be the most misleading choice possible.

(Deliberately not referring to them as CPC or live/phase cos i hope to heck they are not those (otherwise someone's fuses/breakers will be popping lots!))

RF Lighting: You didn't say why you were at the place where you found this. Did they perhaps have a problem with fuses popping or heating not working?

Makes me feel so much better about my DIY efforts.

Sponsored Links
I was there doing some unrelated work. No reported problems with the heating. :eek:

I have no idea why the earth was picked for use as what appears to be a permanant live to a room stat / clock, when there were all those other cores to choose from

Oh and no, I'm not an actual robot :LOL:

RFLighting. (Being serious now)

I am actually very interested in this one. I am asking this as a C&G student wanting to better oneself.

You were called in on an unrelated issue, but you discover this. As an electrician in this situation what do you do? If you are being employed on an unrelated matter and discover the above, can you ignore the plumbers dodgy work. (I imagine not). Do you refuse to do the work you were asked to do (which you must sign off) knowing this part of the installation is not to regs and therefore unsafe.

Or do you say I will do my work , but only if I can rectify the plumbers work and make sure your whole installation is safe.

Furthermore. if you discovered this but way into your work, what then?

Normally I would carry on with my work and make sure that it was safe, and the part(s) of the installation I was working on are compliant with curret regulations.

I would note on the certificate any unrelated defects which are discovered.

This way it is all above board, and I have covered my backside

I would also bring any defects to the customers attention, and explain why it is wrong, and what is entailed to rectify it.

Talk to your customers, and don't treat them like idiots. You will find that you often need to dumb down the technical aspects so a layman can understand, but most folk can grasp what the problem is, and why it needs putting right.

nasty. cold have done with at least a patress. also is there a sticker on the cu talking about mixed colors. i would think not!

RFLighting and all the other Picture of the week contributors. You should write a book between yourselves and publish it for us C&G boys and girls.

There is a real gap in the book market of fault diagnosis and rectification. (I should know I'm alway ploughing through Amazon, Play.com et al trying to find such a publication.

Books telling you what to do from scratch are well enough.

However if you had book of

a) picture of fault.
b) what's wrong
c) what you did to rectify it
d) picture of amended installment

clearly laid out you would make a fortune . NICEIC sort of cover it in their snags and solutions books, but not well enough.

In the meantime until you write my dream publication keep up the good work on the picture of the week theme.

Learning loads (no pun intended) off this site.

Thanks Again All.

;) :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back