Picture of the week!™

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well folks, it's been a while but I thought I'd resurrect this old feature of mine.

Joint box Vs water

Was working in a roof void on a farm today when i thought I saw a tiny little flash out of the corner of my eye.

Having had a good look around I finally found a junction box sparking away quite merrily with smoke coming out of it.

There was no fault aparrent to anyone, and the joint box was still smouldering away when we finally managed to track down where it was fed from and isolate it.

There was no load at all running through the joint. It just supplied one redundant DP switch.

It was fed by a 30A BS3036 fuse.

I think this was a real candidate for an electrical fire in a few hours time.

stapletonsjb.jpg

Both the CPC and neutral have completely burnt away. The remaining wire you can see is a very charred red line conductor.

Sponsored Links
I think this was a real candidate for an electrical fire in a few hours time.
That would have made an interesting start to the new year for you - not long after knocking off work in a roof void a fire starts up there and the owners truthfully swear blind that there had been no faults or suspicious behaviour on any circuits before then....

We did a conservatory once, leaving the tail end in the loft above the CU.

On returning to second fix, we could see the CU cover had melted - the main switch had melted, taking the cover with it (think I have a pic).

The owner truley thought we had done something so we could change the CU! A right prick!

Sponsored Links
That would have made an interesting start to the new year for you - not long after knocking off work in a roof void a fire starts up there and the owners truthfully swear blind that there had been no faults or suspicious behaviour on any circuits before then....

Its always a risk that something unrelated could occur, or worse you bring forward a fault that was waiting to happen by knocking a joint box on another circuit with a loose connection in it.

I had similar, I went to look at a shower that wasn't working for friend of the family, a few days after I'd done them a timer fan in the bathroom... pullcord was burnt out... now could be a complete fluke, or the installer of the shower may have been a bit limp wristed doing up the terminals on the isolator and the unclipped cables probably moved around a bit as I was moving the fibreglass around.

Also seen it where I've tested a ring I've been working on as being ok, worked on it again at a later date and when testing found one of the end to ends a bit high, checked what I did as being fine, then found a joint box in the roof space with slightly loose terminal had been disturbed by builders when they removed and replaced ceiling... only by chance that was discovered

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back