Bad one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a call on Tuesday dinner time.

The chap said they own an ironing company, and had recently moved out of a commercial premisis as it was costing too much.

They have now set up thier ironing business in the conservatory of their house.

They siad they were ironing away when all of a sudden all the power went off.

I thought there's probably an FCU somewhere that they've overloaded and I said I'd call on my way home and have a look.

When I got there I found half of the sockets in the house were on, half were off. First check was the fuse box. All the fuses were good, and there was no evidence of any bad connections. Fuse box was a 60A brown wylex with BS3036 fuses.

Eventually after a lot of tracking I found the ring had been broken in two places.

I still haven't found one of the breaks, but here's the one I did find.

It was at the back of a single socket in the bedroom at the opposite end of the house to the conservatory.

920fec65.jpg

d14816ab.jpg

d6a4afb7.jpg

Both the line and neutral had completely burnt away. The fuse was still good.

It turns out they were running 4 commercial ironing presses at the same time, each drawing 3kW.

Sponsored Links
Trouble is, the fuse is only a weak link and in a old house with old wiring, there's plenty of those...!

I'm guessing a loose connection at the socket?

Sponsored Links
It turns out they were running 4 commercial ironing presses at the same time, each drawing 3kW.
They were committing a criminal offence.

Did you/do you plan to let the council know?

Please elaborate Ban :D . I`m guessing change of use from residential for a start but I`m wondering if you`ve got a few more up yer sleeve (i am not to sure exactly where the line might be drawn though)

Not the way to keep customers though. I wouldn't say anything myself, leave it to the neighbours to make a complaint if the increased traffic etc is causing them problems. Its hard enough for small bussiness as it is without stasi-esque reporting from people they call in to do maintenance!

Apart from the fact they could have burnt down next door as well in the worst case scenario?

They may already have permission for you. I run a workshop from my house and have full permission from the council.

I't's not really going to get me much repeat business if I go round shopping all my customers to the authorities. :rolleyes:

Sorry if you don't like it, but the reality is that times are tough at the moment, and I can't afford to upset my customers, who are my sole means of income.

Why would you? I know you probably have no conscience and wouldn't care about scuppering someone else's business and livelyhood just to get an ego boost. What would be the point? Are you self employed? Hopefully someone will try and do you over too.

Why would you? I know you probably have no conscience and wouldn't care about scuppering someone else's business and livelyhood just to get an ego boost. What would be the point? Are you self employed? Hopefully someone will try and do you over too.

That sounds exactly like ban.

Why would you?
THEY

COULD

HAVE

KILLED

SOMEONE.

I know you probably have no conscience and wouldn't care about scuppering someone else's business and livelyhood just to get an ego boost.
Ego boost?

You pathetic fool.

What would be the point?
The point is that we have workplace safety regulations, planning regulations, commercial use regulations etc for good reason, and those who breach them should be shut down.

The reaction of many of the people here is even more cretinous than I would have believed possible, even for ***s like xr4x4.

This ironing company has broken the law and endangered lives in the process, and when I suggest that they should be reported for it I'm the one in the wrong?

I suggested it because I don't have a conscience? The exact opposite, actually.

Some of you should go back to your natural home, the GD cesspit, and stay there.

The reaction of many of the people here is even more cretinous than I would have believed possible, even for ***s like xr4x4.

This ironing company has broken the law and endangered lives in the process, and when I suggest that they should be reported for it I'm the one in the wrong?

I suggested it because I don't have a conscience? The exact opposite, actually.

Some of you should go back to your natural home, the GD cesspit, and stay there.

At least I'm not blocked, wondered for a sec there...!

I don't care what you think, your an annoying little man (how ironic!) who thinks its common place to insult people.

Go back to sitting on your own in your room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back