Pictures not showing (now believed fixed)

Sponsored Links
images not showing
I'm glad that someone else is expreiencing that problem - if not only to prove that I don't make up my stories about it!

In fact, the images are not showing up for me, either, when I look at my post above. However, if I click on 'quote' on that message (i.e. to quote myself), I then see the images in the 'Reply' window! It may be the same for you - since you did not quote from my previous post, you will not have had an opportunity to see - perhaps you'd like to try?

For what it's worth, those images were both copied/pasted, from websites into my post.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, me too. Just today. Yes, they are in 'quote'.

Did you solve the problem when you had it, or did it just change on its own?

images not showing
It's the same old problem of them being served via weserv.nl rather than direct from the source - quoting gets them from the source, but in the post they are from images.weserv.nl
Error from that is:
Error 410: Server couldn't parse the ?url= that you were looking for, because the hostname of the origin is unresolvable (DNS) or blocked by policy.

Sponsored Links
Yes, me too. Just today. Yes, they are in 'quote'. Did you solve the problem when you had it, or did it just change on its own?
No, I haven't solved the problem - it persists, but it only happens occasionally, in certain circumstances (see flameport's post, but also see my response to him).

Kind Regards, John

It's the same old problem of them being served via weserv.nl rather than direct from the source - quoting gets them from the source, but in the post they are from images.weserv.nl ... Error from that is:
Error 410: Server couldn't parse the ?url= that you were looking for, because the hostname of the origin is unresolvable (DNS) or blocked by policy.
Interesting.

This is the first time I've encountered the problem with something I've posted - it has previously only been with (occasional) things posted by others. However, those two images I posted earlier were inserted by doing a "Copy image" (not "Copy image address") from a website, followed by pasting into my post. I have always assumed (and, I suppose, still do!) that such a process does literally what it says on the tin - i.e. copies the actual image into my clipboard (without any knowledge of where it came from) and then literally pastes the image into my post. Are saying that when I do that, this site actually moves the image I've copied into my post to weserv.nl? However, even if that were the case, I don't really understand how it can get the image 'from the source' when it's quoted - since I don't see how it can know what the source is!

Could you perhaps help me understand?

KInd REgards, John

It's the same old problem of them being served via weserv.nl rather than direct from the source - quoting gets them from the source, but in the post they are from images.weserv.nl
Error from that is:
But why does this keep happening?

upload_2018-5-7_10-20-40.png

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/weserv.493500/

Interesting.

This is the first time I've encountered the problem with something I've posted - it has previously only been with (occasional) things posted by others. However, those two images I posted earlier were inserted by doing a "Copy image" (not "Copy image address") from a website, followed by pasting into my post. I have always assumed (and, I suppose, still do!) that such a process does literally what it says on the tin - i.e. copies the actual image into my clipboard (without any knowledge of where it came from) and then literally pastes the image into my post. Are saying that when I do that, this site actually moves the image I've copied into my post to weserv.nl? However, even if that were the case, I don't really understand how it can get the image 'from the source' when it's quoted - since I don't see how it can know what the source is!

Could you perhaps help me understand?

KInd REgards, John

The image I put in #22 was a screenshot, in my copy buffer, which I pasted into the post, and its properties are

https://www.diynot.com/diy/attachments/upload_2018-5-7_10-20-40-png.141418/

no sign of weserv.

Here's an image I copied from the web, also in my copy buffer and pasted in:

denon-rcdm40dab-front.jpg

and its properties show

https://images.weserv.nl/?url=proxy/U9n0wVjO++3geYuRd4ZSTEM/Vc9GP7jmdQkPaPrd+ZW+qeiK2rYjFgeYCA3rWnHXKr6vvrpCwVvxgHJdSH+NpkPyqw==/image.png

Here is a screen-scrape of the image, not put into my copy buffer by right-click copy image

upload_2018-5-7_10-37-9.png

and it seems to be fine.

What's happening is that when you copy an image, its URL comes with it in the metadata - I pasted the first, copied, version into MS office, and when I went to format the image there was a Web tab, and that contained

http://images.esellerpro.com/2632/I/798/2/denon-rcdm40dab-front.jpg

No such info in the screen-scrape one.

And oh - look:

Is there really no alternative?

Or no option to make it work properly?

It breaks images which are http:... and not https:..., and it stops animated gifs from working.

What is the point of it, and how does it benefit us?

The lesson seems to be get a screen-scraper. I use Wisdom-soft Screenhunter Free as an easier alternative to native Windoze "capabilities".

Last edited:
True. In terms of aesthetic fastidiousness, it would be ideal if they 'looked like' other plastic ones around (shape etc.), although I'll admit that there will not be in rooms/parts of the house where aesthetics are a major concern.
Again true, and I would probably consider that. However, if I removed 'the works' (if possible) and painted only the metal plate, those bits I hadn't painted would somewhat 'stand out' (if there were no pugs in them) - although I suppose that's fairly trivial. In other words, although not these colours, I would prefer something like ...
shopping

...rather than something like (without the USB gizmos)...
XY5U2B-PR_large.jpeg

Kind Regards, John

Is it really "fixed", I wonder. Letis try to find out by my posting again the image that started all this yesterday ....

shopping

Now we should see!

Edit - yep, I can see that. If the problem is now fully resolved, my thanks to whoever fixed it!!

Kind Regards, John

I'm not so sure about 'fixed' - at least, for me. I've just experienced the same problem with the first post in this thread - images not visible in the post, but can be seen in the 'compose'window if I quote the post.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Back