piggy back of central light in bedroom, is that against any regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all we have a central pendent light in the bedroom and my wife wants an edison fancy bulb type light hanging over my daughters desk. Can i just route some new flex into the loft space and then piggy back in the original light fitting into the ceiling.
any risks with this? its possible she may want to two bulbs hanging down, so would it be better to take a spur from the original light in the loft to a choc box and then the two lights from that choc box in the loft.
the new bulbs are about 6ft away from the original light they will all come on with the same switch.

thanks

Sponsored Links
hi all we have a central pendent light in the bedroom and my wife wants an edison fancy bulb type light hanging over my daughters desk. Can i just route some new flex into the loft space and then piggy back in the original light fitting into the ceiling.
Yes, of course.

any risks with this?
No. How do you think the power got to the bedroom light?

its possible she may want to two bulbs hanging down, so would it be better to take a spur from the original light in the loft to a choc box and then the two lights from that choc box in the loft.
No need. 'Piggy back' from first to second.

Yes. It would be more usual to use standard 'house wiring cable' ('twin and earth') but flex would be acceptable.

Kind Regards, John

thankyou for the responses, now as usual i report back to the boss and shes says i guess we can put two downlighters instead of one of the bulbs, and then one other bulb which was initially which i think it is ok regardless of what light and no issue with additional wattage but thought i better ask

Just out of interest would 12v downlighters be harder to install alongside the standard ceiling light or same rules, piggy back from main light to transformer and then onto the first downlighter

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just out of interest would 12v downlighters be harder to install alongside the standard ceiling light or same rules, piggy back from main light to transformer and then onto the first downlighter
Yes, you could do that.

Kind Regards, John

Personally I would want them independently switched, however unless you use a bathroom pull cord above the desk, it’s hard work

Personally I would want them independently switched, however unless you use a bathroom pull cord above the desk, it’s hard work
So probably would I - but, as you say, unless one used a pull switch it would turn a simple (and non-disruptive) job into a more complicated (and probably more disruptive) one - maybe something to leave until the room is next decorated?

Kind Regards, John

thanks for replying, i thought of plan which isnt perfect but I know the philips hue GU10 bulbs can be switched on and off via the app, so we can use that to switch just the downlighters off. tbh your right to get another switch wire in the room is decorated and I dont want putting a wire in for that.

LED or mains for the downlighters, read several articles now and seen web pages state the biggest failure of LED downlighters is overheating in fire hoods.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back