Pilar Drill Humming - more help needed.

It's just something that 'clonks' in the area of the motor which stops the chuck trying to spin, so I'm assuming its a safety cutoff of some type.

Sponsored Links
Maybe a thermal cutout? It's starting to sound as if your motor is past its 'best before' date.
Is this a cheapo DIY shed pillar drill, or a good one?

Sponsored Links
I don't use it a huge amount and only spend out on expensive tools when they get a lot of use.

Trouble is all the new cheaper ones are now only 350w

That's plenty. I suspect the 500W and 350 W motors are the same physical size, but if wound for 500W it can't handle the heat generated, hence the insulation fails.

That's plenty. I suspect the 500W and 350 W motors are the same physical size, but if wound for 500W it can't handle the heat generated, hence the insulation fails.
Maybe the problem I'm having?

This may be moving to a more mechanical aspect but how tight should the chuck be when turning by hand, because it seems rather stiff.

I've also taken the botom casing of the motor housing, and it is quite difficult to turn the motor fans.

Should they be easy to turn or not?

This may be moving to a more mechanical aspect but how tight should the chuck be when turning by hand, because it seems rather stiff. I've also taken the botom casing of the motor housing, and it is quite difficult to turn the motor fans. Should they be easy to turn or not?
Usually fairly easily with drills that size. Have you tried removing the belt, so you can ascertain whether the motor is making the chuck hard to turn, or the chuck etc. is making the motor hard to turn (or both!)?

Kind Regards, John

I was just taking the belts off after I last posted.

With no load from the belts the motor starts and runs ok, and the chuck spins freely.

Maybe this is not an electrical problem after all, but a pulley/belt one?

(Its a three pully/9 gear machine)

I was just taking the belts off after I last posted. With no load from the belts the motor starts and runs ok, and the chuck spins freely. Maybe this is not an electrical problem after all, but a pulley/belt one?
Possibly - you could perhaps try some judicious lubrication. However, it's also possible that the motor is iffy and/or on its last legs and cannot cope when a significant load is applied to it.

Kind Regards, John

I shall now try lubrication on the pulleys whilst trying to keep it off the belt grooves!

Hopefully it won't be another case of 'spoken too soon', but I've lubricated the pulleys and the drill now seems to work ok!

Thanks for your posts John

Hopefully it won't be another case of 'spoken too soon', but I've lubricated the pulleys and the drill now seems to work ok! Thanks for your posts John
You're welcome, and I'm glad that things may be looking up. However, in view of the history of this saga, I'm not drawing any conclusions :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back