Pilot light on CH boiler cuts out after seconds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Help needed please:

Pilot light on Ideal Classic FF 230 boiler lights briefly, but cuts out after 17 seconds, so: no hot water, no heating. Both worked perfectly prior to plumber installing new expansion tank for Megaflow cylinder and fitting new gauge (pressure was registering 0, so new gauge fitted, now reading is 1 bar). Possibly just an unfortunate coincidence. The boiler may be 10 years old now. Plumber suggests boiler doesn’t work as it hasn’t been used for a long time. (His assumption: we actually had it on in June, for new baby’s visit as weather was cold.) We don’t know the boiler’s history as we only moved in 3 years ago, but it seemed to work OK, though recently I noticed the gauge was at 0bar, so called in plumber, hence replacement of Expansion Tank and gauge. When checking CH after this, and pilot light went off, he said (1) fan on boiler is not working & would cost a lot to repair; and/or (2) heat exchanger has poor circulation because it is blocked. He recommends putting in new “Viessmann” boiler with 5-year warranty at cost of £1,200-£1,800 (4-bed, 3-storey end-of-terrace town house). He says it will need new gas piping from outside the house to come into first-floor kitchen as the piping is awkward to reach (it is behind tiles), total cost £3,000 (“for a good job”). This excludes piping costs, which will presumably be done by someone else/British Gas ?) . [After his visit I rang Heatrae Sadia’s technical line, who say fault is not in their Megaflow but must be in CH boiler.]

Sorry for long posting.....Desperate for ideas about what to do.

Sponsored Links
He obviously has little diagnostic skill and just wants to fit a new ( overpriced ) boiler!

They are getting a little old now but perfectly repairable and generally pretty reliable boilers!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thank you Tony, for your advice. At least you've stopped me agonising
about whether I should call him back to put in a new boiler !

Are you able to point me in the direction of a reliable gas engineer
who won't be trying the same thing ("overpriced boiler") in the
Friern Barnet (N11) area of North London.

best wishes, Zena

You should contact me directly from the details in my profile!

Not too much. I know Tony personally and that he won't rip the op off. I also know his preference is to repair rather than replace.

It's up to him if he goes, the op to agree his terms, and the two of them to get on. That i can't control. ;).

I would volunteer, but I'm fully booked to the 3rd week of November, and if the next 2 quote come back with a green light (which I'm pretty sure will), then it will be the new year.

Oh, and most of the spring has been booked too :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back