Pilot light on Glow Work Fuelsaver Mk2 wont stay on

I hope this bloke is a RGI and not a "plumber" changing parts till he strikes lucky

Sponsored Links
My experience is the opposite, on the 24v honeywell g.v's I have replaced loads that have held afterwards. I think it is a cumulative loss of power through all the components though that causes it to fail so ideally you'd replace them all but you may strike it lucky with one or two. imho.

caused by the O/H stat and perhaps at least 50% on those boilers with them fitted in series with the thermocouple.

From an electronic point of view that is bad practice. The output power from a thermocouple is very small so the detector in the gas valve has to be sensitive to react to it.

With the low impedance of the thermocouple connected across the input to the gas valve induced voltages at the sensor input (from other wiring) will be close to zero. Disconnect one side of the thermocouple from the detector and induced voltages across the detector will rise. If the detector is, a simple but sensitive solenoid that holds operated on the current from the thermocouple then it is unlikely that induced voltage will do any harm. That said the ignition electrode firing could put a large energy spike onto the thermocouple leads.

If the detector circuit involves electronic semi-conductor components then open circuiting one side of the thermocouple is more likely to result in damge to the detector circuitry.

Sponsored Links
You dont half talk some sh#te

Having designed industrial temperature measuring equipment that used thermocouples as the sensors I consider I my knowledge about thermocouples and their use in heat ( and flame ) detection is accurate and valid. How many hours were spent in the training room on the use of thermocouples ?

I grew up with gas radios ;) but you still talk ****e you think one spark from an electrode is going to affect a t/couple

Why is it that so called experts come on here and make a simple job on a simple boiler out to be so complicated is beyond me. Or is it just their inflated ego's? Answers on a postcard please Bernard.
Also for what it's worth, the gas valve is the last thing to consider on these.

Last edited:
Given the replies above I got a second heating engineer out today and he confirmed it is the gas valve so even though it's unlikely it can happen.

To be honest I don't know anything about them but 2 engineers have said it's the same thing. All I want is some heat so once he has got the part we can get back to normal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back