Pilot light out - is it the detector or the gas valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My latest problem with my gas central heating is that the pilot light on the TI Glow Worm Fuel Saver 60-70 just won't stay on.

The pilot flame is in good contact with the sensor. The sensor has a copper pipe that feeds into the valve.
I have removed the pilot sensor from the gas valve (and the safety cutout lead which is connected to a normally-on switch/thermostat up near the top).
When the sensor is heated the brass ferrule on the end does not appear to move - should it and how much?

The 'button' the sensor touches when fitted to the gas valve does not appear to move, or allow pilot gas to flow when touched with a screwdriver in contact with the casing too. Is it electrical or mechanical?

So is it the gas valve which is faulty or the pilot sensor/thermostat?

What should I try replacing?

I have found spares available at:
http://www.mjtcontrols.co.uk/Appliance_Type3.aspx?Manufacture_ID=32&Appliance_Type=Gas+Boiler
Selecting 41-315-87------Fuelsaver 60-70B as the boiler type.

I'd appreciate help please
Thanks
Steve.

Sponsored Links
The part you are referring to is the thermocouple. Its an electrical device that produces a electric current to "hold open" the gas valve. There are NO moving parts involved. The fault may well be either the Thermocouple itself or the electromagnetic device within the gas valve. The former you could i suppose tackle yourself but NOT the latter. ( req. CORGI )
And than again it could be othere things as well ,,, Best get a man in !!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back