Pipe/Asbestos in Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I discovered some redundant pipes in the loft. They are wrapped in some black wrapping, underneath it there is some brown fabric (1st image) that is showing where the black wrapping has come loose. I was told that there could be asbestos underneath the brown fabric?

I have wrapped the joints with bitumen tapes as these areas are showing more of the brown fabric (2nd, 3rd images).

I would appreciate it if anyone recognises this kind of loft pipe insulation, and whether it contains any asbestos inside?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Given the age of the pipework and if that's original to it, looks like it. If it is the same age then it could easily have asbestos in it. Just avoid disturbing it.
What you do about it is up to you. Leave it alone and don't disturb, then it should be ok but it's had repairs so hard to say without being there.
Doing it properly, it would need a sample taken and tested. The result will determine if it's cheap or expensive to remove.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back