Pipe burst, who has to fork out???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year a pipe burst in my back garden, the pipe is for my neighbours garden hose but it is in my garden, he has been on to me for a year now to fix it but I don't think I should, why should I pay for a repair when I don't use his hose pipe and it doesn't affect me in any way??? He reckons if it's on my land I have to pay for it, does anyone know the laws on this? Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Who is he trying to kid.
If he wants to repair his pipe on your land he will have to pay for it.
Restore your land to exactly as it was before he started work.
That is if he has the appropriate permission to have the pipe running
across your land in the first place.

There was a toilet in my shed years ago before I bought the house, the toilet has been removed but the water pipes are still there, his water is connected to mine and always has been, the council must of fitted it so we share 1 pipe for the toilets when they were there, don't think it's my problem but if it is I'll get it sorted, maybe a call to the council will sort it out ;)

Sponsored Links
Turn off mains, cut pipe and cap it.

Minimal cost.

Job done.

Any problems, tell neighbour to contact the council!!!

Andy

definitely look at the deeds my water supply is shared via next doors kitchen similar to lots off old properties
if its on your land it may be your responsibility
when you turn the stopcock to stop the leak what else does it isolate and where is the stopcock :?: :?:

I assume that the burst pipe has been isolated via a service valve or stopcock on your property which has no effect on any other supply, if so the responsibility is his not yours.

If you were on a metre would you pay for the water he uses on his garden?

Have people heard of thing called a shared supply ,this was very common on older houses when one mains went to the back of houses because the out house and kitchen were built in the back

Then from one house to the other the pipework is linked ,so if you cut off and cap this pipe first of all you may have to turn it off in the street and this will affect a few homes

This may be the case here and i suggest before you cut or do anything else you actually find out who your water supplier is and ask them which way the water pipe has been routed,they may send out an inspector who can trace this for you and advise you as necessary .Good luck

Have people heard of thing called a shared supply.

This may be the case here
I know the type you mean, with only one stopcock in the road for you & your neighbour. If it is this his neighbour's been living without water for over a year now.

As it is, it's only his garden hose that's affected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back