Two burst pipes in loft

A problem has occured with, I think, the ballcock on the cold water tank.
I don't know if its related to the repairs I have made (flexible connector restricting flow?)

* The cold water overflow was active earlier this afternoon
* The ballcock seems to take ages to close
* There is evidence of some overspill on the platform holding the water tank. Not much, but it's clearly evident on the plywood base.
* Access to the cold water tank is difficult, as its under the eaves. I pulled the ballcock up a bit, it seemed to shut off the flow. The water level is about an inch below the overflow.
* The cold water tank doesn't have a lid. I reached in, the ball valve feels flaky. Maybe ice?

Is the ballcock iced up? Not a problem, I guess, until the overflow starts to ice up also...
I've got the loft hatch open and will have the heating on. Also, a low level heater during the night.

Sponsored Links
The ball cock can take a long time to completely shut off - it will drip for quite a while until the pressure on the ball completely closes the inlet valve. Its nothing to do with your repair.
You can often get some condensation on the tank itself as its surface will be very cold. Do you think the dampness on the tank support platform is recent? Tanks with lids suffer less from this.
Get some insulation over the top of the tank - even an old blanket will do so long as it doesn't interfere with the ball valve. Consider making some sort of lid when the temperature improves.
the flaky valve could be lime deposits, or indeed ice. Maybe you could use a mirror to get a better look?
John :)

You can often get some condensation on the tank itself as its surface will be very cold. Do you think the dampness on the tank support platform is recent? Tanks with lids suffer less from this.
Get some insulation over the top of the tank - even an old blanket will do so long as it doesn't interfere with the ball valve. Consider making some sort of lid when the temperature improves.
the flaky valve could be lime deposits, or indeed ice. Maybe you could use a mirror to get a better look?
John :)

Thanks John. I susepect it may be more than condensation. There are patches of moisture on the floor, where it's dripped down.
I'm sure I could chuck a couple of bits of wood over the top to act as a lid.
Anyway, the tank is now nice and quiet.
But I've never seen the overflow active before...hopefully it was just some melting ice.

Why do house builders place plumbing stuff in such cramped places? The ball valve on the tank is virtually inaccessible!
Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back