Burst Pipe due to Cold Weather ..... problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in rented accommodation. We had a massive cascade of water escaping on the morning of Sunday 28 Nov which was the first major sub zero night that we had.

Hubby went up to loft to find 2 fractures in the pipes, water everywhere and intermittent burst of ice shooting out across the loft. Pipes were iced on the outside too. Cut a long story short the room below is cold, damp and unuseable. We have asked for rent reduction whilst out of action but Landlord said it's just one of those "unforseeable" events.

But....the pipes were not lagged at all, neither is the hot water cylinder. He has done it now but only as a "precaution." I know that the pipes were frozen because I saw them myself but what I want to know is would a good plumber lag those pipes as a matter of simple good practice.

If it were you and you had pipes spewing water and ice in 2 places, unlagged; would you assume it was due to weather? How common is it for a pipe to "spontanously fail (as he puts it" in 2 places?

Very upset :cry:

Sponsored Links
i lag all pipes in loft but that don't mean they will never freeze it only slows them from freezing not prevent them from freezing if the temp drops low enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back