Two burst pipes in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two burst pipes in my loft! Fortunately, the loft insulation absorbed most of the spillage.
Actually, the bursts were in 2 places on the same main cold pipe up to the cistern.
All pipes havesleeving, so a bit of a suprise.

I patched one up near the cistern using a bit of garden hose.
The other, I cut a 2 inch segment out of and first used a speedfit plastic coupling. No joy, it leaked. Probably because I used a hacksaw.

So I spent the rest of the afternoon trying a compression joint. I've done these before on other plumbing jobs in the kitchen and bathroom. The problem was that the olives wouldn't go far enough on, probably because the pipe ends were flared from the burst. I tried crimping the pipe ends, but it wasn't much better.
Tips for getting olives onto the end of a pipe, please!
Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Cut the pipe further back, Mike, and use two compression straights to put a new length of copper in.
John :)

If the soft copper pipe has become deformed because of the expanding ice, you'll have to keep cutting it back until you get to a good bit. Cut off a couple of inches at a time, and each time slide the olive over the pipe to see how it fits. When it slides over easily, fit the fitting there.

Push fit is a no-no on anything other than perfect pipe. Even v. slight deformities will cause it to come off.

Sponsored Links
The copper tubing has expanded in diameter near the burst, you deed to cut the pipes well away from the burst until you get to the normal size tubing

I think there's a 15mm slip coupling around thats about 4" long - could well be the job for bursts like these.

I think there's a 15mm slip coupling around thats about 4" long - could well be the job for bursts like these.

I didn't spot anything like this in Wickes. Do the other sheds sell them?
Otherwise, I will have to make up something suitable.

Thanks
Mike

Cut the pipe further back, Mike, and use two compression straights to put a new length of copper in.

Is that 2 x couplers and 1 x copper pipe segment? If so, best to make them up downstairs, one of the locations near the cistern is pretty inaccessible.
Which reminds me, I'll have to get a powerful lamp...

OK. that explains it. I was just cutting at the perimeters of the "scar", so a straight connector would be the same length as the gap.

Look at Homebase 116112 Mike - its 80mm long, which should accommodate a cut out of 60mm.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId
=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=116122&c_3=3%7Ccat_14113450%7CPipe+fitting+and+connectors%7C24510581&c_2=2%7Ccat_16849207%7CPlumbing%7C14113450&c_1=1%7Ccategory_root%7CBuilding+and+Hardware%7C16849207

Looks just the job. A bit pricey, but will save me a lot of time making up a connector.
Thanks,
Mike

Worst comes to the worst,I could use a flexible connector. But 300mm is a bit longer than I need!

I think I've fixed it now. 1 and a half days to fix the first one, about 30 mins to fix the second one (which was in an inaccessible position).

The first one had a larger split. I had to take out nearly 7 inches of pipe. So, I decided to go for broke and install a flexible connector. Will it be best to replace this with a length of copper at a later stage?

The second one, I took about an inch off either side of the split. Then banged in a Homebase connector as described in a previous post.

Big thanks to the guy who suggested to keep cutting back until you get to the right diameter pipe.

We'll see how it goes tonight. Hope the joints don't open up in the cold!

And I must learn how to use a pipe cutter. Using a hack saw doesn't get a clean or straight cut and results in dangerous shaking of nearby joints.

Errrr has that length of garden hose gone to the wheelie bin, then?
Ask Santa for a pipe slice for Christmas ;)
The flexible connector could restrict the flow through the pipe a bit, but its a good old standy for the duration!
Be lucky mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back