Pipe clamps and swa cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While at a job this week I found some swa cables with pipe clamps and flying leads used instead of earth tags. I know that the clamps cause damage to the conductors but does anybody know if there is a specific reg that covers this? I have already quoted 134.1.1 and 134.1.2 in my report.

Sponsored Links
Pick any of the ones like it should be of good workmanship etc. BS951 clamps are for solid conductors and not suitable for SWA.

i think he means strapped round the SWA like it should be to a pipe, not putting the SWA under the screw clamp..

and when was the last time you had 4 or 6mm solid conductors in your earth wire?

they are stranded..

and the clamp is designed to take it that way with an upturned lip at the sides and a large screwhead..

oh and 543.2.5 says that to be used as a protective conductor providing it satisfies parts (i) and (ii) of reg 543.2.4, which in turn say that it must have it's electrical continuity ensured by construction or by suitable connection.. which an earth clamp is not.. .

Sponsored Links
i think he means strapped round the SWA like it should be to a pipe, not putting the SWA under the screw clamp..

and when was the last time you had 4 or 6mm solid conductors in your earth wire?

they are stranded..

and the clamp is designed to take it that way with an upturned lip at the sides and a large screwhead..

oh and 543.2.5 says that to be used as a protective conductor providing it satisfies parts (i) and (ii) of reg 543.2.4, which in turn say that it must have it's electrical continuity ensured by construction or by suitable connection.. which an earth clamp is not.. .

oops, I meant pipe - not conductors

I only asked since 523.10 says that single core armoured must be bonded together at both ends.. thinking that that's what someones idea of bonding might be...

Thanks for the comments lads. I thought that in the past I had found a reg mentioning the misuse of BS951 clamps. I have scoured the regs and OSG and found nothing. Will use the ones I quoted and also the one stated by Coljack.

ok,so anything over 50mm may be bonded at a single point as long as the voltage between earth and the armoured at the other end is less than 25V, but seeing as the cables don't look like 50mm to me then if they were singles then my orriginal comment stands..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back