Pipe Colour Coding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My father has just fitted a new toilet in to an outbuilding, including the soil pipe and water supply pipe for the toilet and washbasin.

The plastic water supply pipe comes from a copper pipe on the house wall and is buried underground. A friend of his gave him this pipe about fifteen years ago.

However, it is yellow in colour and has "GAS" marked on it so it is actually designed for gas use. Water pipes I know are coloured blue.

However my father said to my mother that the chap in the wholesalers said they are changing/have changed the water pipe colour coding to yellow.

Does anybody know if this is true?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Hahahahaha!

Did your mother believe him?

A pot of non-drip light blue paint will soon fix the problem.

JohnD said:
Hahahahaha!

Did your mother believe him?

A pot of non-drip light blue paint will soon fix the problem.

She was actually a bit doubtful on this, that is one reason why I was actually asking this question.

As far as I know the material or blue water pipe and yellow gas pipe is the same (MDPE) but the wall thickness may be different and the gas pipe may have additives in it that are not suitable for potable water. If the gas pipe is already buried you might be able to thread some 15mm plastic water pipe inside (if the gas pipe is min. 20mm OD).

Sponsored Links
Not one of your better ideas Chris ;)

The plan is thet water is blue, gas is yellow, oil is green, and black for electric.

That way the tradesman knows what is what when he goes to work.

I know a plumber who was electricuted ( not dead ) when he cut through a water pipe, that the DIYer had used to sleeve a cable down the garden with.

doitall said:
So someone digging and coming across the yellow pipe might assume gas. But if they found the above ground ends it would be clear that it was just a duct for the water pipe. So I can't see that it would lead to anything serious. Common practice for utilities to thread MDPE through old steel pipework.

Anyway DIA, you never responded to my post on the old Vent pipe thread! You disappeared for a week to avoid losing your bet! :evil:

chrishutt said:
doitall said:
So someone digging and coming across the yellow pipe might assume gas. But if they found the above ground ends it would be clear that it was just a duct for the water pipe. So I can't see that it would lead to anything serious. Common practice for utilities to thread MDPE through old steel pipework.

Anyway DIA, you never responded to my post on the old Vent pipe thread! You disappeared for a week to avoid losing your bet! :evil:

Had to go to the Industrial Liason Group meeting for Argi.

Been ploughing through BS 7967 ever since, and need to post on the site.

Your still wrong on that thread anyway ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back