what colour should my balls be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry, meant to say "what colour HANDLE should my ball VALVES be?" :)

I've seen plenty of people ask, but not definitive answer.

i.e. is gas yellow, red/blue for hot/cold water

not sure I'd just trust the colour of a handle alone to make a decision on the contents of a pipe

Sponsored Links
If mine turned Blue I'd worry!:eek:

Come to think of it they were for a week after the vasectomy!:D

You can get yellow handled ball valves that are rated for water oil and gas. No no don't trust the handle.

Sponsored Links
Turn them off one at a time and see what turns off.

It's not that I don't know what to turn off.

I've got some new valves to fit to c/h. Just wondered if there was a scheme everyone subscribed to. Seems not.

Theres no technical right or wrong with it. But yea, Hot is red, blue cold, yellow gas, would be the expected way of doing it.

Been asked lots of times if I can run a hot pipe to washing machine as they only have two cold pipes (not realising that the handle doesnt magically change colour when the pipes warm)

But as said, just cos a handle is yellow does not mean its approved for gas, it has to be specifically for gas (and the correct gas type)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back