Pipe Cutting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any advice please on how to chamfer (what tool to use) a 40mm plastic pipe before it goes in a push fit elbow, to get it past the o ring.

Also. if cutting a 40mm pipe, is it the 42mm pipe cutters that I need? Lastly, what is best way to clean off burrs?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
You don't need to chamfer do you? have you put silicon spray/fluid/fairy on the gasket, should just slide in.

I'd use the mitre saw or by hand... most of my straight cuts are angled. o_O

I scrape the burrs with Stanley knife and fin grade sand paper.

Usually a half round rasp file works best.

Sponsored Links
Hi, any advice please on how to chamfer (what tool to use) a 40mm plastic pipe before it goes in a push fit elbow, to get it past the o ring.

Also. if cutting a 40mm pipe, is it the 42mm pipe cutters that I need? Lastly, what is best way to clean off burrs?

Thank you

Don't use pushfit.
Solvent weld or compression.

On push fit pipe just used a decent ratchet type cutter clean square cut maybe smear fitting with silicone lube if you like.
Push fit only where its all accessible.
Solvent weld better job all round same cutter as above.

thank you all. The pipes are already in place and plumber used push fit. Im just trying to putt a 40mm waste pipe into an existing elbow. Out of interest are all black push fit 40mm waste pipes the same, or do I have to go with the brand that matches the elbow. IN this case its polypipe.

In terms of chamfering, thanks for the info. I have a big metal file (flat bastard) no idea if its fine enough, but thought I could use that, then use some fine sandpaper, then add some silicone lubricant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back