Pipe identification colours

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Yellow for gas, right?

I am working in a 1905 kitchen where the ceiling has been removed, there are numerous pipes up there including the old gas carcassing for the old gaslight, Ascot, cooker, gas fires.

I want to follow each pipe and identify what it is, I will be lagging some and following others back to see if they are still connected.

There is mains water, cold from tank, hot tap, CH flow and return, and gas. I thought I would dab paint of the appropriate colour on each, to help me and anyone working on them in future.

Ta

View media item 30562

Sponsored Links
why not label them, others would then know what is what if/when you are not available.

because the pipes, all together, have a 60 metre run. Once the ceiling is replastered no-one will see them. Where will someone take a floorboard up so I can put a label there? It will be far easier for me to follow each pipe with a paintbrush.

Edited:

I have found it difficult to find a clear explanation of the BS colours, but if I understand this banding page correctly http://www.pipemarkers.com/british-pipe-markers-standards.html
then

mains (drinking) water light blue

CH water under 100°C banded blue red blue

Gas Light yellow

Cold Down service (does this mean tank feed to cold taps?) banded White Blue White

Hot Water supply (for hot taps?) Banded White Red White

Not sire what do do with odd bits of pipe not connected to anything.

Sounds like a grand idea.

Gas is Ochre Yellow to be prescise, but Yellow should suffice.

I have always coloured my pipes;

Gas - Yellow

Flow - Red with 2 Black Marks
Return - Blue with 2 Black Marks

Cold Taps - Blue with 1 Black Mark
Hot Taps - Red with 1 Black Mark

Sponsored Links
I have found it difficult to find a clear explanation of the BS colours, but if I understand this banding page correctly http://www.pipemarkers.com/british-pipe-markers-standards.html
then

It is the basic colour that identifies what is in the pipe (green is water supply; yellow is natural gas).

The banding is at intervals to further identify what the water does (CWDS, HWS, LTHW, MTHW, etc..).

This appears to be a close-boarded roof; if so, I'd suggest you check on whether insulation is being fixed.

If new insulation boards are fixed below the water pipes, they will then become outside the insulated envelope of the building for the first time and they will freeze and split during the next cold spell. The risk is that the client or architect will blame the freezing on defects in the insulation that you fixed to the pipes for this, rather than their oversight.

If they want to run pipes outside (which these will be, even though under the ceiling) then I'd suggest weatherproof insulation over trace heating. Alternatively, insulate above the pipes or re-route the pipes inside. Cover your back-side.

Surely better to remove any redundant services whilst access is good. Then identify the remaining services.
How many plumbers would mark services in ceiling voids these days? I've worked on many house refurbs where the only time they are identified is where they come to on the first fix. Under floors etc nothing is marked up. ;) ;)

it's not a close-boarded roof, you're looking at the floorboards of the rooms above the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back