pipe in floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why is it ok to lay plastic pipe for UFH in screed but not a simple "water transportation" pipe?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Why is it ok to lay plastic pipe for UFH in screed but not a simple "water transportation" pipe?
Cheers

Do you mean as in potable water pipe (hot and cold) or heating pipes or even gas pipes.

Don't know what the official reason is but when they built my house 30 years ago they put the central heating copper pipes into the screed and in some places it's broken the screed up where over the years the pipes have been expanding and contracting. The screed has crumbled away and if I brush the loose bits off I've got a 2 inch deep hole in the floor.

doitall
Both really. Hot and cold water and central heating pipes. Not to concerned about gas as mine is all above ground once inside.
Basically my central heating pipes are in the floor in my house. They look like they were lagged with a fiberglass type material prior to burying. We have had an extension built and now it is time to plumb it. I do not want to fall fowl of building regs hence my questions. As the upstairs floors are in it will be a lot easier to plumb the upstairs using plastic for water and heating radiators from below as the ceiling is not yet in. Downstairs seems a bit of a puzzle. Idealy Iwould like to do this in copper, lag with denso and bury in the screed, leaving tails up where required for "onward" plumbing, again at a later date.
What is the general thinking on this, wanting to keep within current regs?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The hot and cold must be accessible. an conduit is fine, look in the speedfit book, or Hep HXXC barrier pipe in conduit.

Heating you need to protect the pipe, again the conduit is good

Diyitall wrote

The hot and cold must be accessible.

Why ?
Because you say so or because you have no faith in your soldering ?. lol :LOL:

You're talking nonsense man. Its common practise on new builds to bury the pipe in the weak mix of the sand and cement screed with armaflex insulation (or similar) as protection.
OK so a few will use the conduit but many use copper.
On a long convoluted run with plastic pipe inside corrugated conduit you would have difficulty replacing it anyway if you had to remove it for some reason.

Its common practise on new builds

because it is common,that makes it right?

OK so a few will use the conduit but many use copper

so the majority are right are they?

On a long convoluted run with plastic pipe inside corrugated conduit you would have difficulty replacing it anyway if you had to remove it for some reason.

the point being IT CAN BE REPLACED without too much disruption.

numpty 1 wrote

because it is common,that makes it right?

Thats right. :rolleyes:

so the majority are right are they?

They usually are. :rolleyes:

the point being IT CAN BE REPLACED without too much disruption

Wrong. :rolleyes:
And if you had any experience with pipe installation you would know why. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back