Pipe Leaking from where it's soldered together? How To Fix??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys/Gals

Had central heating installed about 3 months ago and now one of the pipes has started to leak (looks abit like some dodgy soldering is causing it). Is there a quick fix as I can't even get hold of the Central Heating Installer to fix it.

Just wanted it sorted before it gets any worse. Could I buy certain products from B&Q to fix??

:(

Sponsored Links
The fact that you need to ask the question suggests that you may struggle to resolder it.

The easier option for you may be to remove a section of the pipe and replace it with a new piece and a couple of compression joints.

This will still require the system to be drained down and refilled afterwards etc.

No1 course of action ... Keep trying to get the muppet back who did the job badly in the first place.

MW

Sponsored Links
yes you'll need to drain that part of system.
where abouts is it ? radiator,under boiler etc.
or you could cut that section out and fit a compression fitting instead of spending money on solder gear.

fit compression couplings to replace once wet can be a devil to resolder for the novice , mind replace inhibitor when you refill

fit compression couplings to replace once wet can be a devil to resolder for the novice , mind replace inhibitor when you refill

thanks for the advice guys..What are Compression Couplings??. I have no idea when it comes to plumbing and leaking pipes. just thought the quick fix would be to solder the joint back but maybe not. The location of the leak is where it joins the bend to another section of pipe (s shaped). What tools would I need to cut the section and rejoin?? :confused:

Do yourself a really BIG favour Warrenmole ... Get someone to do this for you or pay a plumber because, based on your level of understanding, I'd say the job is beyond your capabilities.

If you carry on you'll almost certainly make things worse and end up paying far more to sort it out.

MW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back