Pipe seems to small - cant get a fixing!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put a 22mm x 15mm reducer in.
I used plastic push fitting into copper pipe first- this held but had a small drip leak.
So I tried a copper compression reducer, same issue, small dripping leak.
Now I have put a Yorkshire fitting on, added extra solder - still can't get a fixing!! The solder just drips out the bottom and doesn't look like its going to be water tight.
I've measured the pipe and it looks like its more like 20.5mm rather than 22mm so I think this may be where my issue lies.
Any ideas???
I need help! Now got no water :evil:

Sponsored Links
I've measured the pipe and it looks like its more like 20.5mm rather than 22mm so I think this may be where my issue lies.
:

Your '22mm pipe' is pre-1970 imperial 3/4" pipe.

Go to a plumbers' merchants, buy an adaptor, compression or solder.

Or call a plumber.

Sponsored Links
If you've already got the compression fitting, all you need is a 3/4" olive. It will work in the 22mm end.

Thanks for all the quick replies!
I have managed to get water back on by forcing a lot of solder around the fitting.
There are no leaks at present - I am going to tile the floor where it is under though so I think I will get the proper imperial fitting and refit it to be on the safe side.
Or do people think it will be ok if it has sealed? It's not a pretty sight! But it's sealed lol

If somebody on here says it will be alright will you be happy to tile over it?
Don't use a compression fitting if you do redo it.

If somebody on here says it will be alright will you be happy to tile over it?

Fair point!! I wondered what a plumbers view maybe, if something I soldered and doesn't leak straight away - will it leak in the future? That's what u was sort of wondering.

I'll redo it - and if I use compression I'll cut the pipe back to unsolder we section.

Do not use a compression fitting if you are going to tile over it, you can get a 22x3/4 end feed coupling, soldering is much safer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back