Pipe Soldering Heat Stop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Plumbers,

I've been teaching myself pipe soldering over the last few days, got to the point where I'm happy to give it a go on my bathroom. One question though, what material do you use to protect decorative surfaces like paint from the heat of the torch?

I searched Screwfix for 'heat resistant mat/board' but nothing came up. Do you all have a secret bit of asbestos you carry round with you?!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Actually, I was only bering partially flippant - a Solder mat needs regular changing once they get flux and schit on them they are more of a hazard than they are a protective tool - the flux can flair up of at the least stain the surface they're resting against.

Soldering requires a very small flame if using a decent torch so a careful workman can solder pretty close to finished surfaces relatively secure in the knowledge they won't harm decorations.

A good quality mat can be cleaned..... thrown in the washing machine or boiled in a pot..:)

Actually, I was only bering partially flippant - a Solder mat needs regular changing once they get flux and schit on them they are more of a hazard than they are a protective tool - the flux can flair up of at the least stain the surface they're resting against.

Soldering requires a very small flame if using a decent torch so a careful workman can solder pretty close to finished surfaces relatively secure in the knowledge they won't harm decorations.

+1

I very rarely need to bring a heat mat out. Careful, controlled flame directed correctly and you can be within 20mm and not leave a mark.

I have caused more damage with an old heat mat after it caught alight than I have from soldering.

Jon

I very rarely use a mat, flame control is the key. I keep a ceramic tile in the van with Bluetack, if I need to use protection.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back