pipe spacings for stelrad radiatior

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
we have no heating yet but want to put pipes into bedroom to accept stelrad radiator - called them to ask what distance pipes coming through floorboards had to be to then attach a 900mm rad. They said ' same as rad 900mm its flush fitting' - this seems odd to me as I thought pipe came up to TRV and then the TVR went horizontally to join the rad. If rad is 900mm and pipe centre comes up at 900mm wheres the room for the valve?

Basically I want to know where to position pipes and what spacing is required between them for a 900mm and a 600mm rad. Also how much space is required between pipe and wall (ie: end of TRV) - do I have space for a 600mm rad with a total allowance of 800mm between wall and door arcitrave. Can someone spoon feed me here!

Is better to use 15mm if I can rather than 10mm?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
i think u are overcomplicating things.
the method all folk use is to hang rads first and then do the pipework.

can't hang rad until I buy it and can't buy it until I know if only having 10cm to spare at each end of rad is enough to practically allow that rad to be used there!

all i want to do is order the things but can't seem to find out how much space you need to either side before hitting wall/door to know if that size is ok.

Mind you climbing over end of rad when coming through door might be good wow factor so perhaps I shouldn't worry!

cheers

Sponsored Links
Bit of a strange request, but i hope this helps,

Picture151.jpg

the size from the valve connection to the centre of the microbore on this picture is 60mm.

note the drain tap in the picture, you are unlikely to have 2 drain points on the same radiator, is this making any sense ?.

If you have similar valves then you could add 120mm onto the length of the rad giving you the positions to drill the 2 holes.

hope this helps

Alan

Perth said:
can't hang rad until I buy it and can't buy it until I know if only having 10cm to spare at each end of rad is enough to practically allow that rad to be used there!

all i want to do is order the things but can't seem to find out how much space you need to either side before hitting wall/door to know if that size is ok.

Mind you climbing over end of rad when coming through door might be good wow factor so perhaps I shouldn't worry!

cheers

What you need to know first is the size of the rad valves that you are going to use.

Find out the dimensions of the valves and work it out from there. ;)

For example (follow the link and press the dimensions tab)

http://www.pegler.com/products/gene...+Thermostatic+Radiator+Valves|840#&template=1

Perth said:

quote]

Just get a shorter rad -they are available in virtually any length you want. If you are asking a radiator manufacturer/supplier to give you the measurement from the tappings at each end to the centre of the pipe supplying the rad valves then you are asking the impossible-they can't give you an answer as all rad valves are slightly different dimensions especially TRV's which have an adjustable tail piece. I don't want to sound condescending but if fitting rads for a customer I would not be concerned with millimetres as you are- I would just get one that I KNEW would fit.

As said previously-buy the right rad then worry about piping it up afterwards. Good luck anyway,whichever way you do it.

For normal "pipes up through floorboards" add 85mm to the rad nominal length for one TRV and one lockshield. Using valves which have a 15mm nut and olive type connection at both ends gives about 8mm adjustment at each end. Don't drill the floor within 60mm of a corner or the TRV may not be easily adjusted.
As for dropped pipework from above, allow extra for an intergral drain-off, or install one in the lower pipe.

The distance from the wall is rad dependant, single, double, or P+ types all different, consult the supplier or better still the manufacturer's website.

Oh yes, and check for floor joists too, if there's a nail, there's something big below that it's nailed into :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back