Pipes round outside of house ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Need a combi - have sought advise elsewhere on this forum, cheers
Got a plumber round , he looked at where the gas was coming into the house ( in garage front left of house ) and where existing boiler is - in kitchen back right of house - Aim is to support existing bathroom ( first floor back middle) and new loft bathroom ( front left of house ) - stairs to loft will be in middle of house , through space where existing cylinder is.

He has suggested it would be best to put piping round the side left of the house , round the back of the house , then back down the other side wall and into the kitchen, all on the OUTSIDE !

This bewilders me ! He is proposing a Worcester , so a decent boiler and we live in a nice area , Is he really just doing this just to save money ? Is it really a sensible option ? Will the pipes just not freeze in winter ?

Thanks
Bewildered of Bury !!

Sponsored Links
Suspect he means gas pipes, and this is perfectly acceptable to put outside.
If your gas pipe freezes dont worry about it,you will have been dead long before you noticed.It freezes at -296.7 degrees f

Suspect he means gas pipes, and this is perfectly acceptable to put outside.
If your gas pipe freezes dont worry about it,you will have been dead long before you noticed.It freezes at -296.7 degrees f

How many is that kelvin :?:

Sponsored Links
He has suggested it would be best to put piping round the side left of the house , round the back of the house , then back down the other side wall and into the kitchen
What is that in overall length? i.e. from where the pipe will start (Gas Meter), to the new Boiler location. And did he state what size pipe (diameter) he would be using?

Of course we are all assuming that it IS the Gas supply. If its the CH then I wanna see that done :LOL:

guys

glad to have got such quick replies , but can't help you much - I presume he means the gas pipes , not a clue how thick they will be , and the distance form meter to boiler , well , if it was a crow , it would be about 30 feet , but going round the outside , I would suggest about 50 -60 feet . allowing for having to go over the back wall where we have a conservatory. Not quite sure of the significance though .

Is it really a common thing ? Does it not look cheap and nasty ? I know the guttering/ drains etc goes round / down the outside of the house , but I'm not sure I have ever seen gas pipes on the outside

Graham

Gas pipes on the outside of propertys are quite common,depends on the ease of internal routing , in any event ask your installer, he'll put you right!

Externally mounted gas pipes are very common indeed and the fact that you have not noticed them says a lot.

It makes far more sense to me to put the gas pipe outside as it further reduces the tiny risk from a gas leak under your floor boards. Consider the upheaval of having to pull up your carpet, laminate, floor boards or even worse, chip board flooring... Many heating engineers make lousy chippies and so your floor may never be the same again... Just a thought

as far as i recall absolute zero is -273c .i was at school a long time ago.
but with global warming i think it should be ok.

more thanks guys

Now I'm sure this is very basic for you guys but why does he need to put any extra piping in at all between the gas entry point ( garage) and where the new combi boiler will go ? The new combi boiler is just a replacement for an existing conventional boiler/cylinder/watertank system as we need the space where the existing cylinder and tank are ( to allow for stairs access and for space in the loft conversion . There is no intention to move the position of the boiler , just swap one conventional for a combi - surely if there is a gas supply currently to the existing boiler , he can use that supply for the new boiler ??

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back