pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've just installed a power shower with my first attempt at soldering the fittings. i usually go for the compression type but fancied a challenge.
what i need to know is when using a blow torch how far away from the fitting do i keep the flame or do i have to heat the fitting and not the pipe ?.
thanx :confused: [/img]

Sponsored Links
yes you heat the fitting, only experience will tell you when to apply solder. I tend to wipe the solder gently on the opposite side to which I am applying the flame so you can see when the joint is hot enough to suck the solder up. Clean the inside of the fitting and mating surface of the pipe with wire wool (or equiv.) even with self cleanig flux and personally I just wipe a thin layer of flux on with my finger. Buy some cheap couplers and pipe and practice it will come pretty quickly.

Experience helps but here my tips:

The flame is hottest at its tip, so hold the BT away from the pipe

The copper is about hot enough when you see your flux begin to bubble, at this point just touch the pipe with your solder if it runs remove the flame and apply more solder adding heat as the copper cools.

To much heat is a bad thing it causes the flux to dry out. It can also cause the copper to pit.

Whenever I've taught someone to solder i alwayz turn the flame down as its easier to control!!

Sponsored Links
thanks for the info it will save me a lot of wasted fittings. thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back