Piping a radiator through the top?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, is it possible to pipe a towel radiator through the top and put the blank and bleed at the bottom? Will the radiator still work this wAy??? :)

Sponsored Links
I guess it may be possible to fill the rad from the top. Never done it, but it may work ok.

Yes.

Solder a length of 15mm copper onto the insert of the return pipe just long enough to leave a few inches off the bottom.

Works a treat.

not a lot of point putting the bleed at the bottom.

The bleed should go at the highest point of the feed pipe.

Sponsored Links
It will vent through the rest of the system.

I am assuming the OP wants to feed the towel rail though the ceiling.

It won't need bleeding.

simples.

Been there done that. Had a nice warm towel rail.

Word to the wise. If the tube is too long you will get a rushing noise as the water is pulled through the dip tube.

As dan has said if you just connect to the top then only the top couple of inches will heat up you need some sort of insertion tube made to reach down into rad

I know I'm a couple of years late coming to this thread but I find myself in the same position as the original correspondent. Hopefully all the contributors are still with us and can answer this query. Dan_Robinson came up with the idea that soldering a length of tube to the return union terminating a short distance from the bottom of the return down tube would permit the towel rail to be plumbed supply and return into the top. I gather from the way he couched his reply that this was something he had done himself, is it still working Dan? and can you give me specific directions how to do it? I want to fit a 1600 x 600 towel rail in my bathroom and plumb it from the ceiling, I have solid floors which have been nicely tiled by the previous owner of this house and I don't want to dig them up, neither do I want to run pipes around the wall.

Hopefully Terry B

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back