Pir codes old socket on skirting board

Sponsored Links
That would depend on the details

If it's in good condition and in a location/situation where it is unlikely to be damaged and it is fed using cable that is also in good condition from an appropriate type of circuit for it's pin type (round pin sockets should not be put on high current circuits because the plugs don't have fuses) then I don't see any reason why it should get a code at all.

The regulation is:-

553.1.6 A socket-outlet on a wall or similar structure shall be mounted at a height above the floor or any working surface to minimize the risk of mechanical damage to the socket-outlet or to an associated plug and its flexible cord which might be caused during insertion, use or withdrawal of the plug.

This has been the case for a long time so it's not code 4, Neither is it code 3, it does not present immediate danger so not code 1. So only code it can be is code 2.

However I have a problem with this as plugs with cable entry other than bottom would be OK. This would include many items using adaptors. It uses the word "might" so you can code it if any plug likely to be used could be damaged. But writing on it "Shaver adaptors only" for example would mean it would Pass.

So I would normally only code it as code 2 if when I tested an unsuitable plug was plugged in other wise I would ignore it.

Sponsored Links
any reason you can't turn it upside down?
is there a regulation about the correct orientation of sockets?

I've always wanted to know - how do you make such neat square holes in the skirting without modern tools like a fein multimaster or even a jigsaw :?: In my experience whacking chisels into old skirtings doesen't do any good at all but maybe that's my chiseling skills :confused:

it's called a fret saw..
box in wall, hole cut in skirting and then skirting put over the box..

pad saw would be easier...

eeee, summers working with me ol dad, even used a brace with flat bits and auger bits to put locks in!!

took a bit longer, makes less mess though!

My grandad came to my parents house once to hang a door. Comparing his skills to my dad's was like chalk and cheese :LOL: Then again my grandad never uses his chisels to lift floorboards or prise tins of paint etc - that might have something to do with it. My grandad had a brace too, for cutting holes for locks. Taught me how to use it. He had an old orange metal black and decker drill too. :eek:

mmm, we have an old metal black and decker drill though ours isn't orange. The thing I like about it is that it is smaller and lighter than any modern drill i've seen (other than tiny mini-drills) which makes it much easier to control. Yet it still has enough power to put a spade drill though a floorboard easilly.

One of these
Schuko-UK2.jpg
and one of these
180px-CEE_7-7.jpg
would allow access to a socket like shown so they can be used. But I would still code 2 as already stated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back