PIR fault or settings or else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
System: texecom premiere elite 48
I’ve visited a property i’m helping to secure and found that the alarm system had been reset to factory settings. I logged on as the engineer and used wintex to program it up.
When I loaded the diagnostic panel I could see that three of the six PIRs were showing an alarm condition permanently but the led on the PIRs we’re not lit.

I checked all the wiring to these sensors with a multimeter and all seems fine in that respect. Given the problem PIRs are exactly the same as the three that are working I’m putting it down to the PIRs being faulty. What I do know is that the alarm apparently hadn’t been used for some time but I can’t see visible damage on these devices.

I know this isn’t much to go on but any alternative theory’s?

I’ve currently set these PIRs, which each have a dedicated zone, to ‘Unused’ while we use the rest of the system.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
That’s normally why there are no lights on the detectors…..but they could be disconnected ….but doubtful….next question what make model are the detectors and how are they wired at the panel end or inside the detector

Sponsored Links
50:50 are not working/ working. That doesn't scream PIR faults but not impossible.

What tests did you do?
I see from above you didn't check power to the PIR's. But you checked cabling?

It doesn't sound like the power for all 6 PIR's are coming from the same source, as a short would take them all out if power was from the same source, unless the cables were severed but not shorted to the 3 non working units.

As mentioned above the wiring at panel/ expander and detectors would be useful.

There are lots of possibilities as to why the leds are not lighting up and devices are permanently active. But need to know if they are getting power first as no power would make the most sense.

wiring types wrong, can show up as active when the sensor isn't detecting.
some pirs you can select the leds to be on or off.

but need to establish power readings at the PIR's first

Hi
Yes all these basics I missed. I’ll do all these checks when I’m next on site. It’s been a while since I touched all this but I should have remembered these basics!

another related question. If I do the checks and determine the PIR needs replacing I’ve always powered down the panel when connecting up any new powered devices to prevent any damage to any of the electrical components. But is this strictly necessary in all cases? could I just log in as the engineer, open the panel and do the connections live?
I ask because I am unfamiliar with the bell box on this site and I’d want to prevent it activating in headless mode (lots of local residents that are elderly or easily spooked). Not helped by the fact it’s in an incredibly awkward position to access. Hence why I was wondering if I can work on it live.

Alas the basics are the best place to start, but we have all missed something, especially Friday afternoons. Always usefully to have spare fuses for the panels your on just in case.

Sometimes I wonder if people think about access when doing the initial install, feel like a contortionist at times.

Find it can help taking pictures of the pcb especially the terminals, may take a few attempts to get the right pictures.

Just remove the 12v + supply to the detector at the control panel end from the aux power terminal
Thanks
If I want to then add a new PIR I’ll connect the tamper and alarm pairs to the panel but can I connect up the + - power to the new sensor while the panel is live without causing any damage to the PIR?
Thanks

Yes be fine
Wow all this time I’ve been powering down the panel each time I connect a new PIR!! Timesaver! Thanks guys
You’ve both been posting here and helping people including me for years, really appreciate all the knowledge you put into this community

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back