PIR in stud wall without gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know I sound daft, but why can't I find 75mm Studs which are actually 75mm to match the 75mm thick PIR? Same with 100mm. I don't want gaps for services as it will be a workshop where trunking isn't an issue. Do I just need to go somewhere other than Wickes/TP etc?

Sponsored Links
If you go to a timber yard who don't plane all the wood, you should get the size you want.

The sizes on planed wood are given pre-planing.

Common problem and the same with sheet materials as some is 8 X 4 and others are 1220mm x 2440mm. I have resorted to building studwork up with 4 or 6mm ply to make it tally with PIR sheets.

Sponsored Links
Common problem and the same with sheet materials as some is 8 X 4 and others are 1220mm x 2440mm. I have resorted to building studwork up with 4 or 6mm ply to make it tally with PIR sheets.

8x4 is pretty much 1220 x 2440. It's the metric sized bits that are 1200x2400. Yes, the discrepancy between ply and plasterboard is a pain, in flat roofs for example!

There was a debate somewhere about whether it mattered - the plasterboard would have adequate strength to span the 38mm gap. At the same time, nice regularised timber is far better to work with than old rough sawn.

8x4 is pretty much 1220 x 2440. It's the metric sized bits that are 1200x2400. Yes, the discrepancy between ply and plasterboard is a pain, in flat roofs for example!
Door casings haven't caught up with regularised timber, in that the timber is thin, casing is wide - meaning shoite loads of skim both sides.

Yes, that's the one's... it's been a long week.

Stud walls were traditionally built with roughsawn timber, and these were the actual sizes.

Nowadays timber is generally regularised or CLS, which is smaller.

If you can't find rough sawn, get some hardboard or suchlike and cut some strips to line the studs.

If you are boarding on both sides of the frame, you could keep the room side flush, and have the gap on the external side and just board across and it will be OK.

However it's always best to line the inner face of a frame wall with insulation to avoid cold bridging of the timber studs.

Stud walls were traditionally built with roughsawn timber, and these were the actual sizes.

Nowadays timber is generally regularised or CLS, which is smaller.

If you can't find rough sawn, get some hardboard or suchlike and cut some strips to line the studs.

If you are boarding on both sides of the frame, you could keep the room side flush, and have the gap on the external side and just board across and it will be OK.

However it's always best to line the inner face of a frame wall with insulation to avoid cold bridging of the timber studs.
Thanks woody, I was going to use insulated plasterboard to avoid the cold bridge, or one wall will have 25mm PIR with ply over for supporting stuff on the wall better. I can use a vapour control sheet between ply and PIR, but the insulated board will be the VC, and so any gap behind wouldn't be fully on the warm side.

I found out about this when erecting a flat roofed pergola in the garden. Took care in spacing the roof cross struts / joists nicely and then wondered why the OSB roof had overhangs :mad:. Now I know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back