PIR into an existing light circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realise that it is usual to incorporate a seperate switch for a PIR. However, is it OK to do without this and simply lead a spur from an existing circuit directly to the PIR and from there to the floodlight? I realise that the floodlight will only work when the existing light circuit is switched on.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pefectly fine.

Some PIR's have a force on facility, so if you flick the switch on and off a few times it will come on regardless.

Some PIR's have a force on facility, so if you flick the switch on and off a few times it will come on regardless.
It won't come on if the switch is OFF as it has no power when the switch is off

Not really a good idea to have a PIR without a switch. If the PIR fails in the ON position your flood light will be on all the time the lamp it is connected to is on.

Sorry I mis read the post.

Thought the light would have been controlled by a spur.

Sponsored Links
I gave up using PIRs that had their mode of operation set by switching the supply to them on and off so many times per second. Power cuts had a habit of putting them into "always on" mode.

Instead I suggest using a dual gang switch and triple and earth to the PIR for simpler mode setting by switching Live to and Switched Live from the PIR

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back