PIR Lantern at low temperatures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a PIR Lantern outside my house that always works fine except when we have sub zero temperatures like we have at the moment.

At the moment I turn it on and it just stays on instead of turning off after 30 seconds.

Does anyone know why sub zero temperatures are affecting the PIR like this ? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Did you mean to post this in "Outside the UK"? If not it might be worth asking the mods to move it - you'll get more replies in the UK Electrics section.

I'm sure I read somewhere years ago that temperature fluctuations could cause PIR lights to activate, although why a specifically cold temperature would cause it to stay on I don't know. :confused:

Yep - it's just a question of the cheapo electronics not being toleranced well enough for all conditions. It's common for the sensitivity and duration to wander about with changes in temperature although complete failure is pretty poor design.

Not an IQ make is it? (My least favourite supplier of these horrors).

Sponsored Links
In winter it is possible that the warm exhausts from through the wall boiler flues can trigger PIR sensors.

The warm up time ( which is really a settling down time ) after switching the PIR on in very cold weather can be much longer than when switching on in warm weather.

The electronics in many PIRs are a compromise between good design and minimising production costs. Too often the reduction of production cost leads to a poor design that cannot cope with cold weather.

I am also having problems with my outdoor lantern with PIR.
It will come on when sensing motion, but then it flashes on and off, on and off...a few times.
Is this likely to rectify itself, or am I looking at a new light?
Which brand would anyone recommend?
Thanks

I am also having problems with my outdoor lantern with PIR.
It will come on when sensing motion, but then it flashes on and off, on and off...a few times.
Is this likely to rectify itself, or am I looking at a new light?
Which brand would anyone recommend?
Thanks
Does it have a light sensor also? Could explain the switching on/off.
How old is it? If it's been around for a while then it might be on the way out.

Hi there.
Yes, it has a light sensor. When dark, it will detect motion and come on. Normally it would stay on for a minute or two. Now instead of staying on, it is flashing on and off for perhaps 10/20 seconds, then goes off until activated again.
I am guessing it is maybe about 5 years old.
Thanks

Hi there.
Yes, it has a light sensor. When dark, it will detect motion and come on. Normally it would stay on for a minute or two. Now instead of staying on, it is flashing on and off for perhaps 10/20 seconds, then goes off until activated again.
Thanks
No need to write in bold. ;)

The sensor sound like it is reacting to the light put out by the unit. When the light comes on the sensor is detecting the extra light so thinks it is now daylight and switches off. But now it's dark the sensor thinks "I need to switch on".

But now the sensor thinks it's daylight "I need to switch off". I'm sure you know what happens next in this epic... :LOL:

Hi there.
Thanks
What kind of lamp (bulb?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back