Fitting a PIR Half Lantern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
This probably sounds like a really dumb question, but just wanted to run this past someone with a bit more knowledge...

I've had a PIR Half Lantern knocking around down the shed for ages and now Im renovating the hallway I thought it would be an ideal opportunity to install the lantern outside the front door so any cabling can be hidden.

Doing the opposite to what blokes should do...I read the instructions and have a query...
Nowhere in the leaflet does it refer to taking the power source from the lighting ring, just stating 'mains'. Am I right in thinking this can be powered from the ring main then? I thought this would have to be fused down for a light????Correct??

I have an existing hallway light swith more or less opposite side of the wall where the lantern will be going.
If someone could clarify for me please.

Thanks.
Dave.

Sponsored Links
If connected to the lighting circuit, no extra fuse required.
If from another circuit such as for socket outlets, a FCU will be required with a 3A fuse.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

So I am right in what I said then?
If used basically as a PIR, just live feed from lighting circuit.

Yes, you will find a live feed at the switch. But you may not find a neutral.

Also, it would be a good idea to interrupt the supply between the mains and the light fitting with a double pole switch. This is in case the fitting develops a fault or water ingress, and causes the lighting circuit to be without power. You can isolate it until such time that it can be fixed. Double pole switch should be used in case it is the neutral at fault and it is causing the RCD to trip.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the info.

Righto, Sure Im ok with it now.
In the manual it says item does not need an earth, but has a location for one if an earth cable is present. Water ingress should not be a problem as the light is going to be within a largish porch canopy. I probably will go with an override switch though, which according to the manual says a 5a switch should be fitted.
This is a bit confusing though as to why does it have to have a fuse if its run off the lighting circuit, or is this still a reference to using the ring main?

Dave.

It means a switch rated at 5 amps. IE. The maximum current it can switch!

Dont use a 5 amp switch though, buy a 20 amp double pole switch, this way you will switch both live and neutral. ;) (5 amp DP switches arent widely available)

Do you have a neutral in the switch you wish to take a supply from? Its unusual.

Run an earth to the fitting anyway. In case you wish to fit a metal fitting in future.

Many PIR lamps have a "pulse mode".
This allows you to set the lamp to be on all the time.

You cannot use this feature unless you have a switch in the feed to the PIR lantern.

You need to run a supply wire back up to the light fitting then, OR a socket if there is one nearby, and fuse down.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Sorted my doubts now, so will have a go soon. Any problems I will report back..... :LOL:

Dave.

If the fusebox happens to be in the hall the feed could come from here if it's more convenient.

Well...
the consumer unit is about 3 feet away from the the light switch, but delving into the unit is a bit more than I want to chew off....

Dave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back