New PIR Installation in Hallway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I need to get some light into a dark hallway in my house.

There is no power i can use for this, however there is a twin core and earth going to a lightswitch on the other side of the wall.

Could i possibly use this?

What i would like would be to install a light fitting up high and then a seperate PIR sensor lower down so that it activates on its own ie without a switch as there is nowhere to put one.

Is this going to be possible?

Sponsored Links
Not from that light switch as here is no neutral there.

How come there is nowhere to put a switch? Are there no walls? How about a pull switch.

There is space for a switch, its just that the area is very tight and a PIR solution would be better (suppose i could still put a switch on though).

I suppose what i could do would be to take the existing feed to the light switch on the other side of the wall, put in a wago connector and then put this through the wall onto the other side and i would have a switch for the light/pir.

There question here is more about where would the feed go? from the switch to the PIR and then the light fitting? Would this be just a 2 core and earth to both of these? is it that simple

Sponsored Links
Yes it is but not in the same place

In the adjoining room there is a light switch. What I was wondering was if I could split this feed so that the twin and earth would feed a new switch on the other side of the wall ie earth to the back box, live to the COM and neutral to the SP part.

After this I am unsure as to what cable I would need, I am guessing that it would be three core?

I am not doing this, just wondering how it done as I am very curious as to how this would work

What I was wondering was if I could split this feed so that the twin and earth would feed a new switch on the other side of the wall ie earth to the back box, live to the COM and neutral to the SP part.

Neutral?
What makes you think there is a neutral?

What is an 'SP part'?

upload_2022-4-18_16-39-0.png

I am also considering a more perment solution. Landing light is to one end, other end has window so great in day light, but at night rather dark.

At the moment I have a Lidi rechargeable torch plugged in, with has a built in PIR and also emergency light. But does not look good.

Pictures are good, it shows where your existing power is, I will be fitting a new lamp soon, well my son will, but would like a torch higher up, but would not look good even if practical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back