Pir motion sensor light switches for bathroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend one, not too pricey, that'll handle a light & inline extractor?

Also, opinions of these? Reliable?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have one to switch the 5 foot florescent light in my utility room, because we would often go in, or come out with both hands full, so difficult to use the switch. Similar load and generally it works well, though it does tend to go off if you are still for too long, as you might be laid in a bath, so delayed time to off is critical. It was a straight replacement for the wall switch.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, but in most light switches there is only one cable providing a live wire to the switch, which then switches the power on and off into the other wire in the cable. Us is called switched live. So there often is no Neural at the switch to power this.
So take cover off switch ( with fuse box OFF) and see if one or two cables (not wires).

There will be a Netural at the ceiling rose. You could wire the PIR to there, and cut the string short to ceiling switch so you always have redundency.

Sfk

Have I misunderstood though, I thought it'd be a straight swap for a pull cord switch?

You can buy a version which doesn't need a neutral - they use a tiny internal battery inside the switch, to keep them operating when they shorted themselves out to turn the light on. Unfortunately, they are not certain to work with all lamp types, but you can fit a lamp bypass.

The type linked to above does need a neutral and appears to be a ceiling switch, so probably fine to replace a pull cord type, but it would still need to have the neutral. A neutral can usually found at the light position and easy to take across to a ceiling switch position.

Cheers, I'll check out the wiring in the existing switch before going any further.

Ceiling PIRs should be positioned near the centre of the room.
Fitting one in a corner or against a wall where a pull cord is usually located will only use a tiny fraction of the sensor area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back