PIR Occupancy Switch Suitable for Kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a galley-shaped kitchen with a halogen E27 6-spot bar ceiling fitting. Rating 50W each, total 300W.The kitchen does not get much direct light so is usually on when occupied. The light is then often left on (not by me) when unoccupied.
I've tried 11W CFL spots but not very impressed with their performance.
Would one of these be suitable to replace the switch?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DNWAPIR.html
The switch position is such that the PIR should always trigger on entry (it's just to the right inside the doorway).
What I don't want is the time delay cutting the light when the kitchen is occupied, as I can see that would be a potential hazard. But reading the spec, it seems that each time that movement is detected, it resets the time delay to the set period. So I could just set it to the minimum, or say 2 minutes, and it still shouldn't cut the light while the kitchen is occupied? I am working on the basis that when in the kitchen there is usually movement most of the time, it's not a 'sitting down' design. However the tech sheet doesn't mention suitability for kitchens, so I wonder if there is another snag?

Sponsored Links
I would use a large stick, but I'd be done for breaching their human rights...
I know I know...I'll never get my money back.
But just in a technical sense, would it be suitable?
Also I thought quite useful if you're emerging from the dining room with a load of washing up and no free hands for the kitchen light switch?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back