Pir Security light issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I wonder if someone can help me with a Pir security light problem I have. I fitted a new Pir light on the front of my garage the other day and found that the existing supply cable is a 4 core jobbie (brown, black, blue and yellow/green earth) and inside the new lamp there's just live neutral and earth connections. I tested the wires and found the brown wire was delivering 240v and the others nothing, so I clipped and taped the black wire and fitted the others. The light works perfectly - unfortunately there are 2 other auxiliary lights on the side and back of garage which were activated when the old Pir was triggered and these are no longer functioning at all. Where should the black wire go to remedy the problem? Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Probably , what was the black wire connected to on the old unit ? Did it say slave ?

Without knowing how the original set up was, schoolboy error not noting these down!!
It would be likely the spare cable black ( I also assume the cables are brown, black, grey and bare sleeved green/yellow?)
Would be terminated to the white lamp wire which will switch when the PIR is activated. But this is a guess without knowing PIR type and wiring set up (my disclaimer your honour!)

Brown is live and blue neutral; when the old pir came on, it fed the live feed, via the black, back to the other units. You should find a junction box somewhere that has the 4 core cable coming out of it, and the live feed to the other units being fed from the black cable. It looks as though you're new unit isn't designed for a multiple setup, just a single installation. You'll either need to change it, or fit an external pir, but I don't know if that'll conflict with the main units pir activation.

Sponsored Links
Strange combination of colours if all cores are in the same sheath, unless the blue hasthink actually been sleeved.
I would think providing the other equipment has a neutral to them, that link the black core between the pir switch terminal and the live terminal of the extra lights would serve your function. So it is worth/advised inspecting the other equipment before you proceed any further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back