PIR or photocell controlled lighting?

Absolutely at the heart of my question. It's just that's what (all) the police seem to recommend if you read up on crime prevention strategy. A large floodlight seems expensive to run overnight, but can I play devil's advocate? Could they factor in the holistic cost of a break in? I read somewhere that the mean insurance claim for a burglary is £2000, to which you have to add emotional trauma. I know someone who has an expectant wife and discovered four masked yobs trying to break into his house. How does that equate to electrical running costs?
Nobody in their right mind now would fit or even recommend a 400watt single light. If they did I would not be listening and would regard any such advice as inexperienced when 50w or even 20w LED floodlights have been available for so long and have worked for me without fault since replacing the old units 3 years or so ago.

That said, the site dictates ultimately what is fitted. If the light is to barely come on then it hardly matters and would be cheaper to fit. I have 5 floodlights that are on a lot with the dog roaming around, (well certainly 1 at a time depending on which zone he's in), and although you can't put a price on security for your family, you can on unnecessary electricity waste. I also have another 8 LED bulb lanterns on all evening on outbuildings. They are plenty bright enough at 8 watts each to light up the surrounding areas and can be switched on via SIRI at anytime too.

One thing I can't be accused of is cutting corners where security is concerned but I do baulk on waste. Though in 25 years of having CCTV and security etc I have never had anymore than a random bloke walking in a neighbouring field and the dogs put paid to any further thoughts he might have had. Some will always say, "so why bother"? and I will always say "why not"? So many people fit something after the event but few before or just in case. They are usually the same people who'd rather spend £700 on a phone than protect the largest investment they'll make that houses their loved ones.

Sponsored Links
Once the timed period has finished the control panel automatically reverts back to how it was before the timed period. If you've previously manually taken off the green light (auto PIR) and not put it back on then the PIRs won't work at night but you should never need to do that unless you want to creep around your property in the dark. If you manually take off the red light, which is for the audible sound (we do sometimes because of the dog being trained to go mental on a zone 1 trigger only, and the wife might be on a work call or someone might be in the zone working, I.e. window cleaner) then it'll come back to that setting.
thanks for that, that makes sense. What I'm still unsure of (as its not clear in the instructions) when the lights are within a timed period are they then only illuminated when the photocell in a PIR says its dark or does the time period override the photocell i.e. the lights illuminated irrespective of the photocell?

Sponsored Links
thanks for that, that makes sense. What I'm still unsure of (as its not clear in the instructions) when the lights are within a timed period are they then only illuminated when the photocell in a PIR says its dark or does the time period override the photocell i.e. the lights illuminated irrespective of the photocell?
The lights are on according to a time setting regardless of photocell.

Also from the control panel/s you can manually turn on the lights (yellow) at anytime too. I use this option to light up the place when working outside or for guests arriving.

so how do you set the system to switch on at dusk and then off at 10pm and then into auto mode? that's the bit I'm struggling with
Crikey, Paul! You configure the control panel with the buttons to set the time on and off. You can have 2 on and offs a day. Once the timed session finishes it automatically reverts back to auto.

Crikey, Paul! You configure the control panel with the buttons to set the time on and off. You can have 2 on and offs a day. Once the timed session finishes it automatically reverts back to auto.
sorry am I missing something obvious here but Dusk changes time throughout the year? What I'm asking is if this system can switch the lights on at dusk a bit like the way an old fashioned Sangarmo solar dial works but then switch back off at a set time. I'm now guessing it probably cant.

I have some Philips Hue lamps in bulkheads around my property and I have these switching on at Sunset and off at Sunrise automatically adjusting the times throughout the year, I was hoping the GJD system could do the same.

Last edited:
sorry am I missing something obvious here but Dusk changes time throughout the year? What I'm asking is if this system can switch the lights on at dusk a bit like the way an old fashioned Sangarmo solar dial works but then switch back off at a set time. I'm now guessing it probably cant.
No, the photocell allows the PIR to operate only at dusk, no lights will operate automatically. It takes seconds to change the timer if you wish though, and in reality when it starts to get dark, times don't vary that much. Just set it for 16:45 and be done with it.

Well that's it isn't it? I'd pay a fortune for a realistic dog sounding piece of kit (that wasn't an actual dog). There are those fake TV machines that attempt to light up your room in order to convince intruders that some one is in. Is there an effective fake dog ?

:rolleyes: Thinking about it, it might be possible to build something like a solid state playback device coupled to 100W speakers and your PIRs...

I am going to hazard a guess they recommend dusk till dawn lighting for one of two reasons.
1. Deterrence would be main factor, if a potential intruder can see a well lit house from the street, well so can others & Probably give it a miss.
2. People install PIR Lights facing neighbours windows & some of the cheap Chinese ones this is the only way to install, So technically blinds your neighbours & all they can see is bright light & no intruder plus most likely to keep the curtains shut.

Well that's it isn't it? I'd pay a fortune for a realistic dog sounding piece of kit (that wasn't an actual dog). There are those fake TV machines that attempt to light up your room in order to convince intruders that some one is in. Is there an effective fake dog ?

:rolleyes: Thinking about it, it might be possible to build something like a solid state playback device coupled to 100W speakers and your PIRs...
I would say a big dog is still the best deterrent. You could always fit the GJD enunciator here and record a bark. Failing that, there are various attempts at dog barking speakers on the market but I'm guessing in reality they are rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back