PIR security light problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.
First time enquiry for me. I have just installed a PIR controlled security light in place of a very old normal, switched outside lamp. I have re-used the original wiring feed to supply the new lamp BUT...the original wiring is only twin core (live & neutral?) & the installation instructions for the new lamp state that it requires an earth. Is this for functionality of safety? In other words, if I leave out the earth should it still work but not be safe in the event of some internal failure? or will it not work at all without an earth. The fact is, having fitted it, with just the original wiring in the live & neutral points, it doesn't work.
This is a very old house & the wiring is just as old. Here's an idea of the age; many ceramic fuses still functioning & circuits are fused on both the live & neutral sides!
Brooky25

Sponsored Links
It should work without an earth, so I'd hazard a guess that you've wired it up wrong. That's by the by, as you must not use it without an earth. If the wiring in your house is that old then it might be time for a rewire! I'd hazard a guess the rest of the earthing and bonding isn't up to scratch either.

The other alternative is to replace it with a lamp that doesn't require earthing.
Agree with Electronicsuk sounds as though you need a rewire.

O.k. Thanks. I'll check I've wired it correctly. When it didn't work first, I added an earth wire and attached it to a steel girder which is part of the structure of the house. Should this suffice as an earth? If not, could I take this same earth wire and attach it to a ground stake straight into the earth (soil).
Just to ask, why must I not use it without an earth? What is the possible outcome?
Brooky25.

Sponsored Links
Can you recommend a PIR controlled security lamp that doesn't require an earth? Where can I get one?
Re-wiring the house is out of the question. My Mum won't be in the house very much longer. My Dad died recently & the house will be sold inside two years from now. Spending many thousands on a re-wire would be mad.
Brooky25.

Brooky25 said:
Can you recommend a PIR controlled security lamp that doesn't require an earth? Where can I get one?
Re-wiring the house is out of the question. My Mum won't be in the house very much longer. My Dad died recently & the house will be sold inside two years from now. Spending many thousands on a re-wire would be mad.
Brooky25.
Will you be able to sell without a Test Certificate?

tim west said:
Will you be able to sell without a Test Certificate?

'Course he will!, of course some buyers will be a bit put off (and the part p hype has prompted people to start asking about this type of thing), but it is really no different to selling a house that needs new double glazing, or as an avocardo bathroom suite :LOL:

The house will almost certainly sell to a developer who will gut it & turn it into flats. So yes, it will sell without a test certificate. Of this I have no doubt whatever.
Does anybody know of a PIR controlled security light that does not need an earth or a dusk to dawn lamp that will accomodate a high output energy saving bulb, also not requiring an earth?
Brooky25.

ya only need + & - to light a bulb.... So it will work ..... Yeah it should have a earth..... Add one ...... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back