PIR security light - recurring fault???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into my current house in February last year, the security light out the front was not working so was replaced with a new unit shortly after I moved in. Within a few months the light stayed permanently on and then eventually didn't work at all. This light WAS the kind where flicking the inside lightswitch quickly changed the function from PIR to permanently on, but this was not the cause of the permanent light.

An electrician came and declared the PIR itself faulty and replaced the whole unit, the current unit does NOT have the function to make the light permanently on (have read the manual!) by flickong the lightswitch. A few months after being installed this second light is now permanently on. Was wondering whether there could perhaps be a problem with the wiring to cause this to happen twice in succession or is it just as likely to be a coincidence?

Any thoughts on the matter appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Are there any trees/bushes nearby obstructing the sensor?
If so cut them back and see if itmakes any difference. Are the units from the same manufacturer? If so then could be their fault or as you say just coincidence. Wiring is unlikely to be at fault or it would happen straight away I should think.

This light WAS the kind where flicking the inside lightswitch quickly changed the function from PIR to permanently on, but this was not the cause of the permanent light.

A short power cut has the same effect as flicking the switch.

Thanks for the replies...

There are no trees/bushes affecting the sensor and I live at the end of a cul-de-sac so very little passing traffic. Both units were different manufacturers, hence the first one having the 'always on' facility which this one definitely doesn't.

bernardgreen - To my knowledge we haven't had a powercut and in any case the current light doesn't have the 'always on' function which I know the first one did.

Am glad it seems like a coincidence rather than a wiring fault, I didn't want to pay somebody to fit another one if the same thing was always going to happen. Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
How much did the fitting cost?

Cheapo £15 challanger type fittings are always doing this.

I don't think the relay contacts are X rated, so switching halogen from cold does what you'd expect.

A swift sharp clunk with a screwdriver handle to the side of the PIR can sometimes unweld the contacts for a few more months life out of the fitting.

RF lighting - They were definitely cheapo lights although having said that I would have hoped they'd both last longer than a few months. Thanks for the screwdriver handle tip, I think even I would be capable of carrying out that 'fix'!

Thanks for all the help :D

A swift sharp clunk with a screwdriver handle to the side of the PIR

This is the technical terminology for giving it a good whack! :LOL: :LOL:

Is the PIR supplying just one lamp or is it connected to several???

I am suspecting that the PIR is being overloaded..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back